• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverend Kingbolt RA with Railhammer Pickups

markmann

I've been curiously interested in Reverend guitars ever since I saw guys playing them live. The unique design caught my eye and I was impressed by the tone and it didn't hurt that the players were all top notch. There's a store in Eastpoint MI not far from me that carries Reverend so I went and played a Jetstream HB. Nice guitar but didn't like he feel. Went back and played a Double agent, Gil Paris and Reeves Gabrels through a Twin. After playing for over an hour I really started to dig the feel and the tone of all three guitars. I decided to target a Rev with Railhammers. About a month later I found a killer deal on a new Kingbolt RA in 3-color sunburst with Hyper Vintage Railhammers. Man, what a sweet axe. I love everything about it and can honestly say it's been the most satifying guitar buy ever. QC is excellent and I don't plan to upgrade anything at this point. I wanted an Am made guitar but dang, those Koreans are building some really nice guitars.

Multicellular

:worthless

I have several Reverends. I love em. My Sensei has 2x Railhammers and I put a Railhammer in my Double Agent too.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a huge Reverend fan and have loved the Railhammer offerings I've tried so far. Interestingly enough, even though I play far more country and low-medium gain rock, I like the Chisel and Anvil more than the Hyper Vintage. I currently have a Bayonet with an Anvil/Chisel set and it just sounds incredible. My old Sensei had the Chisel set and they were awesome too! I had a HV in a Rick Vito and it was just ok, I was surprised that I didn't like it better. Most of the other guys in my band don't comment much on the guitars I play and they all chimed in after I started using the Bayonet. I also have a satin blue Kingbolt but I swapped the Railhammers for EMG 89Xs.

Last edited:

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I put a set of Hyper Vintage pickups in my '06 McCarty - wired them with "push/push" pots at Vol & Tone for selectable Series/Parallel - lots of cool tones to be had with those pickups. In Parallel they kind of sneak up on Tele tone and have a pretty percussive quality.

markmann

Interesting that you mentioned tele tone because one day I was playing the Rev though my champ and when I adjusted the bass roll off and tone I stumbled across a pretty convincing tele tone.

markmann

I almost bought a used bayonet but I let it slip through my hands. I don't regret buying the kingbolt but now now I need to try the anvil/chisel set.

Damn gas.

Sheherezadeh

I have a Reeves Gabrels Spacehawk with the Chisel and Hyper-Vintage. It's one of my favorites, and might be my band's favorite.

markmann

I assumed that the chisel and/or anvil would be more suited towards heavier tones so it's interesting that c_mac uses his for low-gain and country stuff. Before I bought my Kingbolt I heard others saying that they used theres for metal and drop-D tuning so I was pleasantly surprised at the beautiful clean tone the hyper vintage produce. I still need to experiment more with amp settings and pedals to get my preferred dirt tone but the clean tones happen naturally for both neck and bridge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom