Reverend Manta Ray 290 or Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

So I'm looking for an affordable semi-hollow with P90s. Both guitars look very cool. My style is eclectic, to say the least. I play in an instrumental band that merges punk with post-rock and dance with stoner rock and electronica. Clean tones are important to me, I play quite a lot with delay and want something that sounds excellent clean, and with break-up. High gain is not a big deal to me, I use fuzz occasionally. I usually play teles but I've got a bit of money and fancy something a bit different. Not into humbuckers, nor Les Paul style guitars.

So which out of these two guitars would be better? The Troy Van Leeuwen is a very funky guitar and the Bigsby appeals to me, but then again the Reverend is also very cool too, and I like hard tails, for their convinience and stability. Both are mahogany and P90'd. Quality wise, which is better? I've heard amazingly things about Reverends quality and I have played a Yamaha TVL, remember not being very impressed with the play of it, but that was a store model in a really crappy store. Price wise, they're fairly similar. So which should I go for?

Here's the two guitars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loobster

Loobster Member

3. ford

ford Member

I'd go with the Rev just because I've played several of their models and all have been top notch quality wise. Also if you aren't going to use the Bigsby much it is probably not the best bridge to have.

bford

4. sector9

sector9 Member

The reverend with the les trem.

5. HHB

HHB Member

I've been gigging a Yamaha AES singlecut of late, a really nice guitar, cant go wrong w/ a Yamaha

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I have the Yamaha and can only comment it it, but I like it alot. It took me a while to firgure out the switching but there is something special about three P-90's. I hear you about the setup, but I spent about 45 minutes with mine getting it the way I like them and it plays as nice as anything else that I have and even with the Bigsby, the tuning is very stable. I think it's a very, very nice guitar for relatively small money.

[​IMG]

7. Loobster

Loobster Member

I think I'm leaning toward the Yamaha. It's just a little bit more off the wall, and I've got 2 hardtail guitars, so the Bigsby could be fun.

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

Eww, no way. The Les Trem is hideous! Way to spoil a nice guitar!

9. airjamie

airjamie Member

Go with the TVL my dude.

10. Loobster

Loobster Member

It's looking that way son. Just my experiences with it in a store a couple of years ago were less than amazing. But that was probably due to a shite set up and what not. I'll have it set up with 11-54 and go to town.

11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Get a 3 p90 reverend jetstream , great guitars period

12. Loobster

Loobster Member

Not a bad idea either.

13. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I have a MantaRay 290 in the green color and I think its just a killer guitar. The neck is smooth fast and flawlous. It's very 335'ish. Pain work is great, and the 90's with the Contour control let you dial in a pretty good single coil tone if you need it. The neck pup is very clear and packs a punch, and the bridge pup with OD just sings. I'ts a great guitar for any amount, but the price just makes it so much better. This should make your decision more interesting.

14. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Pain work is great---- I meant paint work is great.