Reverend newbie... USA or Korea?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by parkerbro, Mar 26, 2008.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

I've never owned a Reverend but I keep hearing great things about them. The little that I know is that they used to be made in the USA and now in Korea.

2 questions -

Are the USA better overall than the Korean?

What is a good Reverend to give a whirl? BTW, I'm mainly a strat/tele guy.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I haven't had a chance to compare the older USA Reverends to the newer imports, but I have heard they are all good too.

There's a nice USA Rev in the Emporium. At least it was still there earlier today.

Full disclosure: I have no connection with the seller nor do I get paid to endorse Reverend products, but I wish I did.:)

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

The USA's are a unique guitar. They are chambered and you can feel and hear it bigtime. I forget exactly what the body is (mahogany slab with some type of composite body shell? The necks are great. The first was eastpointe (pretty big and fat) the second and third are a little slimmer but play amazingly well. I have a USA and I've never heard a guitar sound like this before.
    BUT! I still find I need a more "traditional" guitar or 2 in the stable with bigger mids, etc... that's the hole the Korean series fills and does it really, really well. I've owned a MantaRay semi-hollow (awesome) and now a Flatroc (super versatile). For $500 or LESS you cannot go wrong with the new imported Revs. Great guitars, amazing bang for your buck.
    The Buckshot has a Tele pup in the bridge; The do ones with P90's, Humbuckers, etc... check out www.reverendguitars.com and look at both set neck and bolt ons.

4. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

5. DustinS17

DustinS17 Member

I have played both the USA and the Korean models. They both sound great, especially for the money. The USA's have a more unique sound because they have hollow chambers with phenolic bodies. Unconventional materials, brave and genious design. Nice acoustically as well. The Korean models have a more traditional sound. They both have incredible tone. If you want a USA at all buy one, they are going up in value and you don't want to miss out on your chance (unless you have endless amounts of money to spend). You can always sell it as well because they are more desirable than the Imports. The imports are the best bang for your buck, but if you have a couple extra bucks buy a USA. :AOK

6. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

how much did usa models originally sell for and what's the going rate for them now? thanks!