Reverend - school me on Mahogany vs. Korina

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
The newest Reverend's (all of which look, feel, play and sound KILLER MIK for the price) have bodies made of Korina. I'm in search of a used Rev to save a little cash (or do a trade) and some of the older MIK's have Mahogany bodies. What is the difference (if there are any) in tonality, weight, feel, etc...? If the older ones play as good as the new ones I want one.
:dude

playon

Silver Supporting Member
Generally,

Mahogany = heavier, darker sound, slower attack
Korina = lighter, brighter sound, faster attack (but still not as bright as ash or maple)

A lot of people like Korina on set-neck shorter scale length guitars because the low end might stay a little clearer than with Mahogany.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks... I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell too much of a difference. I like these Reverends for sure.

Trotter

Great question Gasp, I've been wondering what the difference is as well... I do know from experience, Reverends are great guitars!

lefty_messiah

I've just got a batch of the korina set-necks in stock, and I've been pretty impressed by how resonant they are.
The only negative thing I'd say is that on the semi-acoustics I preferred the look of the 'raw' mahogany through the f-hole over the viewable korina... other than that, pretty impressive.

Trending Topics