Reverend USA Guitars Return

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mikef1331, Jan 31, 2006.

1. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Good for them! I'm happy for them that they are back on their feet strong

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Oh, yeah. We're all over it at the Gallery. :)

It's really good to see, indeed. The Stage Kings are very nice guitars (I've got a Flatroc) but the USA Revs are where it's at.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

No problem reposting this, just pointing out that the Rev regulars hang in the Rev gallery where we discussed this at length a couple of weeks back when first announced. So here's your personalized invitation to join us! :)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=95307

5. mischultz

mischultz Member

Now, I love the guitars and owned an Eastpoint Rocco for a while, but man, do I wish the line wouldn't get upturned every six months.

Michael

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Yah, it's like there's a constant "Here's your LAST chance (No really we mean it this time!) to get one!" sale. Kind of aggravating. It also puts doubt in your head if you need support for these down the road.

It's too bad. I think they axed a couple models that still would have been nice to choose from.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Now, if they'd just bring back the Hipshot trem option I would actually buy one.

Seems like every time I want to order one they change the very features I need.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

The price also went up about $300 on the Rocco. I am wondering if this whole thing wasn't some marketing ploy on Naylor's part to bump the prices up significantly, by "re-issuing" guitars that have only been discontinued a few months.

9. Jon Silberman

I think you're right. And I have no problem with that, builders are free to use whatever ploys they wish to enhance interest and demand for their wares. Depending on where your product falls on the consumer demand curve/the elasticity of demand (as economists put it), you can often make more money with less effort selling fewer widgets at higher prices. This may be especially true when you've already added a budget import line requiring much less personal attention from your staff and you while also offering a good profit margin.

Where this model can break down, of course, is when your primary competition is your own earlier guitars bringing market-driven used prices considerably below those of your own current domestic offerings.

10. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

Well, I think he was going to end the US line rather than bump the price until he saw the demand was there. Then he may have decided "ok, they want them, this is what it will cost." Fair enough.

11. Jon Silberman

The bottom line is, even rejecting existentialism as an underlying philosophical truth, we - none of us - really knows what was planned/intended here. My primary point which I'll repeat now is I really don't care. I was mostly reacting to the description of what occurred as a "ploy" which to me carries negative connotations. "Business strategy," to me, would be more accurate (whether planned from the outset or as it evolved).

12. Praline

Praline Member

You would be ok if Gibson did the same thing? Or is it ok just because it's your beloved Reverend...

13. Jon Silberman

I would have no problem with Gibson doing it for the simple reason that there's nothing Gibson does that's relevant to my life. :)

P.S. FWIW, check my post in this thread, I was one of the guys defending Gibson's marketing strategy (i.e., I'm actually pretty consistent in this regard).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=128633

P.P.S. I know the Reverend Gallery thread is long but if the above represents your limited viewpoint of Reverend and me you'll be surprised by some of my posts there. I.e., with due respect, you don't know me from Adam (I don't hesitate to criticize Reverend decisions I disagree with) but I hope we get to understand one another better in the future.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=95307

14. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

Adam Silberman? Never heard of him

15. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

btw, how many people are buying new US made Reverends at $1100-1500 when used ones sell for $450-700? (answer: a very small number)

16. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Past owner of 4 Revs.........but the way they handle themselves, business-wise, I'll never buy another. Makes you feel that the guitar you just bought could suddenly be worth nothing.

Poor, poor job selling a fine product by Mr. Naylor, etc.

-Jim

17. ol' bugeyes

ol' bugeyes Member

i had this same reaction for a while, but have come to realize that this is the problem with the "guitar as investment" strategy. now we're evaluating instruments based on their earning potential rather than their instrinsic musical value, and creating a gap between the guitar buying community and the guitar playing community. (let's not argue the semantics either. i think most people know what i mean here.)

is it possible that reverend is more concerned with making instruments than enhancing investment portfolios?

now before you get all huffy and say that them reverends never held a candle to yer old tele, remember, you didn't say they were bad guitars up front. you just don't think they run their business wisely.

18. Avenger

Avenger Member

I too am dubious of the guitar as investment concept. I just don't think that for the vast majority of guitars, even ones that do indeed appreciate, they are not a good "investment." If people like to use this as a rationalization or an excuse to a significant other to get more gear I can fully support that:D But people who think they will actually make more money sitting on a bunch of guitars than if they had put their dollars toward even the most conservative investment are mistaken I think.

Having said that, however, I can understand wanting guitars to at least retain a good part of their value. This is especially true if one buys and sells guitars frequently. One wouldn't want to take a big hit on depreciation if they had no intention of keeping the guitar forever.

I think Reverend guitars have retained their value pretty well though. And despite the business practices of Reverend in the past and future they will continue to do so. This is true because the guitars are, in fact, great instruments.

19. Jon Silberman

"Buy used, play for free."

Scott Peterson (a wise man ;) )

20. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Member

Man, tough crowd. I can only imagine the complaints if we built crap, provided poor service, or our products didn't hold value (which btw, they do better than most, due in part to our business practices).