• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Reverend Volcano vs Gibson Flying V. Which one?

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
Not had a chance to play either, but I have been Jones'ing for a V and am trying to decide which way to go.

I have four Rev's...so am no stranger to the product....and I have and SG and an LP....but I want to scratch that V itch. I am sure good med's could fix that, but the doctor won't prescribe anything :)

Anyone played both? Anybody got anything insightful to add to the discussion? If not....anything witty and self deprecating will do.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
I really want a Volcano someday in the vintage clear finish with the rounded top (not swooshy one.)

Mostly because the odds of getting an old korina Gibson V are very slim. The Volcano is close enough.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
The Reverend and the Gibson are very different. I've played both and would go Gibson.

Deed_Poll

Get a V! The volcano is cool, but the shape being asymmetrical would bother me. Remember to put a Maestro on your V!

axe4me

No offense to Reverend owners, every Reverend I've played made me think, "is this it?".
I've never played a Volcano and I'm in no hurry.
I own an '82 Gibson Korina re-issue V and the first Gibson Lonnie Mack V made for retail sale.
IMO, Gibson is the way to go.
There's no comparison.

Last edited:

hop

I have three Volcanoes and zero Gibson Vs. Zero Gibsons period. I've never played one that I felt was worth the price of the name on the headstock.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a Reverend guy so there is no question the direction I'd go.

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
I 'Finally' managed to get my hands on a Gibson Flying V last night. Stopped in at the GC on 205 near PDX to kill some time on the way to pick up the lady at the airport. They had one hanging in the 'room'.

Picked it up, man handled it a little and then put it back on the wall....I think I'm gonna pass on the whole V thing. Firstly, the wings are 'way' bigger than I imagined, and I just did not get that vibe either. Oh well. Glad I found that out without a purchase first.

It's not been a good week. Also played a Fender Limited Edition HH

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telec...erican-standard-telecaster-hh/0171502705.html

It was a nice guitar, and I am going to get booted off TGP now, but it's nothing that I don't already have. It plays well, I love the look, it sounded great. But my Mahogany Tele fits the size/shape/sound thing....and I have the HH tones covered in my other guitars.

Maybe I'll come to my senses, but that's two in one week I've walked away from. "Doctor, what's wrong with me?"

Trending Topics