Reverend Vs Edwards

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fisheric, Oct 25, 2008.

1. fisheric

fisheric Member

I have been gassing getting a new lp style guitar and I already have an edwards with p90s that I really like. But I would like to get something with humbuckers.

Im thinking of either another edwards lp or a reverend roadhouse hb.

any thought?

2. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

I'm also intrigued by the Reverend Roundhouse HB. Check out the forum on the Reverend site and the TGP's own Reverend Gallery. I have yet to read a bad review about them.

3. fisheric

fisheric Member

I know, but those crazy reverend threads are always thousands of post long. Too confusing. They really should get their own forum.

hmmm.... maybe ill create one.

the rev looks pretty nice and from what I hear is well built. used I could get one cheaper than an edwards. But I dont have anywhere to try a reverend out. I have no idea how they play. and the new (always?) rodehouse is made of kornia which will of course affect the tone.

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Rev's are great guitars. They have their own "thing" going on and they are made in Korea, setup in USA. I have owned MIK's and MIA's and I think they are sweet.
    I think an Edwards might be more "conventional" and closer to a vintage spec? If you're buying a used Edwards I guess there is a chance that it might not be all that? I can pretty much guarantee the Rev is going to be nice.
    I believe the Rev pickups are his own design. I had a double agent and the bucker in the bridge was un-freakin-believable. You could hear every note and a hard, distorted power cord and tons of overtones. Great axe.
    I also had an Edwards LP with upgraded lollar mini-hums and it was killer. More expensive though.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

part of me wants a Reverend Roundhouse 290. the other part says i don't need it.

6. trevorus

trevorus Member

I just got a Reverend Jetstream HB, one of the older ones with the Wilkinson trem, and mahogany body/spruce top. It's fantastic, and the bass contour is super useful. I also have a Reverend 5L bass, and it's the best bass I have had the pleasure of owning. Excellent build quality and sound.

7. MemphisBlues

MemphisBlues Member

I've got 2 Reverend's: Club King HB and a Charger P90 which are both great guitars for the money. I also have a Edwards LP that's great. Had a Roundhouse for a week trial and sent it back. It was from the "dead zone" compared to my other two. I would check with a Rev online dealer about a return policy. I agree that the Reverends have there own thing and the Edwards are more traditional. You'll save some money with the Reverend and not deal with the exchange rate/import tax with the Edwards and most likely have a fantastic guitar at a great price. But look for a trial period.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You're a bit behind the curve on that one, fishy.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/forum/default.asp

P.S. Are you aware you can easily do word searches here within individual threads same as for the forum as a whole (look to the top right side of the thread, next to "Thread Tools")?

9. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I used to own a Samick LP Artist Series and thought it was a great guitar (I assume it would be similar to an Edwards). It was a very nice LP copy and had a really good tone, even with the stock pickups.

However, I bought a Reverend Gil Parris about 3 months ago...WOW!!! The guitar feels like a well played, well broken in instrument. Set-up was perfect right out of the case. At first I wasn't sure about the pickups, but now that I've got the hang of the Bass Contour control I can get everything from LP to Strat tones (especially with the H-S-H pickup configuration). If anything, the korina may sound just a tad brighter than mahogany, but not enough to me to make a difference.

10. fisheric

fisheric Member

no didn't know i could search and individual thread, thanks for the heads up.

i think im gonna get a rode house HB.

they look like solid guitars regardless of the price.