Reverend Warhawk 390... Yay? or Nay?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockDC, Mar 5, 2015.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

I've got some serious GAS for a Reverend Warhawk 390 with bigsby but other than YouTube clips and pictures on the net I've never touched or seen one. They seem like a nice build from the pictures. Karina body, 3 P90's, 5 way switch, Bass contour, Bigsby, Block inlays, neck through with raised mid section, and I like the bursts on the body and on the back of the neck.

But how do Reverends play? The sounds I hear people getting online are great but how does it translate in a band or in person?

I come on here and I find pages of people who love Reverend guitars but someone has to see a flaw. So what do y'all think? Reverend in general and particularly the 390... Yay or Nay?

For those who care a little more back ground: Over the past 20 years I've ended up buying and selling a ton of guitars but this is what I've kept. Gretsch White Falcon. Gibson: LP Classic, LP Custom, ES333. PRS: CE22, SAS Narrowfield, Singlecut Hollowbody II, Original Starla with Bigsby. Squier: CVC Tele. I play mostly Southern Rock, Modern Rock, Blues, Contemporary Christian. I play through a Marshall 2204 with 4x12 greenback cab and an Egnater Tweaker 15w. I don't own anything with P90's and want to get 1 guitar to fit the bill for all my P90 desires. I've owned a Gibson LP Gem and Faded Special with P90's and liked them but ended up selling because they didn't seem special enough compared to the collection I already acquired. My budget is $1k or less.

2. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I love my Reverends. I own 2 currently. I've played over a dozen since I got my first a couple years ago, and I've liked them all. I haven't tried a 390 yet , but the guys on the Reverend forum love them. The P90s are pretty good, and the bass contour knob allows a lot of versatility.

My first Reverend was the 15th Anniversary Flatroc w/Bigsby. Never had any tuning issues with it at all--locking tuners, graphite nut, roller bridge. Of course, it's a Bigsby, so don't plan on divebombs.

Anyway, that gold WH390 is wicked cool. If you don't like it, sell it to me!

3. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Just for fun, here's my pair (of Reverends, that is):

[​IMG]

4. c_mac

c_mac Member

I love my Revs. I have contemplated a Warhawk 390 on many occasions. I currently have a Six Gun III, Eastsider T, and a Rick Vito. In the past I've owned a Tricky Gomez and a Six Gun II. Loved all of them. I don't think you can go wrong trying one out. Like Beaker said above, the roller bridge, graphite nut, and locking tuners, you won't have tuning issues. Plus, Reverend now uses their own spring in their Bigsbys which makes them WAY more responsive.

5. geodr

geodr Member

I had a Jetstream 390 and the build quality was great, but for some reason I thought it lacked personality

6. RockDC

RockDC Member

This is great information thanks.

geodr, how didi it lack personality? pickups? feel? fit? style of music trying to be done?

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I take a Reverend to every gig. I have 6.
    I have played the 390 setneck and it feels and sounds as good as my other Revs.
    The 390 set-up is VERY versatile combined with the BCC. P90s LOVE that knob. ;-)

8. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I've got a Warhawk I 290 and absolutely love it. I've played a few WH 390s and they are great guitars too. Joe knows how to design great pickups and IMO, his P90s are his best.......I'll put my WH up against my LP & PRS any day. Great guitars.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I think Revs are great guitars, especially for the $. They have a different thing going from the standard Fender/Gibson. I like them and would own one again.

10. lucky111

lucky111 Supporting Member

My .02ยข--Revs are a smash-up of the best elements of Fender, Gibson, & Gretsch guitars all rolled into one. I've owned four & my current number one is a Charger 290 with the front pickup removed (it's a Charger Jr.!).

The versatility of the BCC cannot be overstated. The fit, finish, & setup is always awesome. The customer service, ethos, & overall vibe of the company is the best in the business.

Go for it!

Cheers!
    luk

11. RockDC

RockDC Member

I'm gonna go for it! I just don't find any reason to not try Reverend!

12. e???

e??? Member

Those reverend 3 p90 guitars look so cool to me. I was about 2 hours late in grabbing one a few years ago. Just missed it at a guitar shop after leaving it to head to my bank for the cash. I still think about it. A band that played after us at a downtown outdoor show had one, and it was awesome. Played funk, and it sounded great. I think I remember him saying he switched one pickup out for a tv jones though... cool unique look and feel to those guitars

13. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I've got one, a war hawk 390 w/ bigsby. I like it a lot. Mine plays great, and the bcc is really nice too have. I guess if I did have a complaint, it would be that I do a lot of hybrid picking, and sometimes the middle pickup gets in the way a little. Oh, and the pickup selector switch is in a slightly awkward place, but that's just me. I'd highly recommend playing one.

Keep in mind the jet stream 390 is basically the same guitar with a bolt on neck and fender scale, so you may want to try one of those as well.

14. StickMan

StickMan Member

When I bought my WH 390, I auditioned it up against a PRS soap bar model, and I think it was a better guitar. The 3 pickups are set up to get that out of phase sound on positions 2 & 4 on the switch, which with P90's is pretty cool. The BCC definitely lets you dial back the wooliness on the P90's too.

I love the Reverend necks, they're just about right for my hands and the use the perfect fret wire for me too.

The reverse headstock takes a little getting used to.

15. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I'm wanting to try a Sensei Jr.! One P90. Korina. Rosewood. Bass contour. I think that's all I would need in a set neck guitar.

16. RockDC

RockDC Member

Just committed to this baby!

My first Reverend!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

Nice looking guitar. For Reverend owners, do the shorter scale models feel to you like gibsons or Iike something else? Need to find a place near me where I can play a few.

18. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

24 3/4 feels like a Gibson, yes.

19. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

I love the look of these. Almost grabbed one last year. Haven't played one, but I think it'd be a real nice addition to the stable...

20. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

I just bought 2 new Revs in the last couple months. First was the sensei ra in blue burst satin. I liked it so much I bought a charger hb in metallic copper fire. Both are phenomenal. I have no Gibsons left fwiw