Reverend will be discontinuing most of the USA guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by iDavid, Oct 25, 2005.

1. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

It's a shame. The quality of foreign made guitars is decent enough so it puts quite the squeeze on U.S. made goods. Hate to see it in the guitar industry but it's been happening to the auto industry as well for some time now.

2. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Hate to see that ... but for the life of me, I could never understand the appeal of these guitars - the blocky lines & bizarre pickguards. But I guess I'm too far out there in "if it don't look like a Les Paul or a strat (or maybe a tele), I sure as hell don't need it" land ...

HT:cool:

3. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

+1

I played a couple of them at a GC in NYC and they not only looked lame, they sounded lame to me as well...My USACG Parts-O-casters make em sound like the el-cheapo Silvertones they were modeled after.

I guess now MIC or MIK Reverends will really be el-cheapos! :NUTS

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

5. Jon Silberman

:) (The tall guy, by the way, FWIW, that's me.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. conundrum

conundrum Member

Have you had your hearing checked lately? Reverend guitars have the most character I've EVER heard. Including custom shop fenders and gibsons.

7. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Wow - I was aware these guitars had a following, but holy crap - there's a regular outbreak of 'em on this forum !! Not gonna bust anybody's gear (kind of like hitting on somebody's wife) ... but there isn't a flame or quilt top in the bunch - do they even make a figured top guitar ?

HT

8. conundrum

conundrum Member

Nope, they are all flatop phenolic/aluminum/mahogany hybrids. Very eccentric.

9. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Don't they have some sort of special hard-foam in them too?

I'm sure people love em, but I'll stick to wood and metal...

10. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

My main guitar is a USA Reverend Slingshot Custom (P-90s). The appeal of Reverends is that soundwise, they combine aspects of a jazzmaster, tele and a semi-hollow, and they look like a cross between a jazzmaster and a Jaguar. Stare at one for a while and see if the look doesn't grow on you. Also, Reverend are incredible sounding and playing guitars. The necks are a perfect vintage strat shape, and they always sound super fat, lively and resonant.

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I was hoping to get one of these in the neext year or so...I guess it can never be

[​IMG]

So I guess I'l have to get one of these instead :D :D :D

[​IMG]

12. Jon Silberman

No one can argue with a 6120W!

P.S. Here's my poor man's version - my "Jackie-Jet" (Silberman's Rule: Name the new one after your wife and she won't object. :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

hmmm... taste is taste and thus is subjective but I really don't understand that opinion... my Slingshot is a hugely toneful P90 guit that stands up to others like a LP 56 Historic and McInturff Taurus in the tone dept. Hardly lame sounding, in fact one of the best sounding P90 guits I've heard. A pro quality toneful guitar for less than $600 new (what I paid) is hardly something to sneeze at.

Ah, well, there'll be more for others to enjoy....

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing for nearly 40 yrs. and I've never heard a quilt or flame make a note of music yet. IOW, they're tools and while aesthetics are nice, flame or quilt are the last things I consider when looking at a guitar, it's the tone and playability that really count IMO.

15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Well put. I was about to say something similar. Also, Reverend did make a guitar with a natural flame top.

16. jordanL

jordanL Member

I've got to respectfully disagree. Its very rare that I don't get someone asking about the great tone I get anytime I play the slingshot.

17. Jon Silberman

For clarification, it was a faux formica top, not wood.

By the way, though I respect all the people here, I honestly can't say I have much respect for a comment like the one posted here that everyone is now disagreeing with. I think it represents a less-than-fair-and-helpful approach to commenting on gear a person doesn't care for personally. For example, I'm no fan of LPs, m'self, but were I to make an equivalent comment about them, that would demonstrate a lack of understanding of what they are, too. That is why, while I'll post how I myself don't care for LPs and have never been able to make one work for me, I understand their appeal to others and love how they are able to make them sound.

But let's get back to the original point of the thread.

18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I see what you're saying Jon, but I didn't actually say it was a wood top. ;)

19. Jon Silberman

I know and didn't mean to imply otherwise, it was just a general clarification for everyone.

BTW, if you check out my post here, you can see I've actually been giving some thought to potentially transforming a USA Rev into a real wood top guitar. It's kinda a nutty concept but hey, that's never stopped me before. :eek:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108589