Reverend?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by imonabuss, Oct 20, 2008.

1. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I spent an hour and a half tonight at a local shop that has recently opened and has a wide range of guitars in stock (no boutique ones though). I decided I would try a range of guitars under $1000. The shocking winner to me was... a Reverend Warhawk 390! This was not a little better than the rest, but completely out of their league. How can this be? Was I in post work shock and not rational?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Reverend makes great guitars, especially in the under $1000 range.

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Nope, it wasn't shock, they really are great guitars. Judging by these threads, I'd say more than a few people around here agree with you. I used to have a Warhawk 290 myself, and I can't say enough good things about it.

4. dead mike

dead mike Member

no guitar has ever grabbed me like a reverend. i went from 1 to 5 in about a year, awesome guitar

5. ghost

ghost Member

i'm also innerested in the reverends...but alot of rev-heads have told me to go used and look for the usa-made gits...the ones at the store today would be imports, correct- anyone here have experiece specifically with the imports? :munch

6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Great guitars. The USA ones are collectible, but I prefer the semi-hollow MIKs, like the Club King 290. Stellar quality all down the line.

7. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I guess the one I played today was an import because it was brand new and from what I've read Reverend stopped US guitars in 2006 or so. So I played it against a couple of US guitars from other brands, and it was much better.

8. ezyrydr

ezyrydr Member

anyone have soundclips? the ones on the reverend site didn't really impress me much.

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Count me as a huge fan of Reverend guitars, both the MIA and MIK series. I have never played a bad reverend guitar. They are always well designed, finely crated, and very different than anything else. They also have great neck carves and fine accessories.

They are, simply-put, giggable guitars right out of the box.

Highly recommended.

10. ghoti

ghoti Member

I also played a Warhawk 390 a couple days ago, and it was the nicest sounding thing in the store (IMO).

The only thing I didn't like about the Reverends were the necks were pretty narrow (not as bad as some, just narrower than I like).

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Amazing axes for the money. Still loving my Charger 290!

12. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Just got my mitts on a Ron Asheton model flying V. Very impressive for the ridiculously low price I got it for. The stock P-90's sound great, though the bridge pickup is seriously microphonic.

13. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I've got a US rev and a buddy of mine has a MIK rev. I think the US models will become even more collectible over time, but the MIK revs are right up there as far as playability and feel.

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have a Warhawk with two humbuckers. Good guitar, but the neck feels a little strange in my hand at first after a strat. It goes away quickly enough.

15. JimiStiff

JimiStiff Member

I have a Flatroc and a Volcano...both amazing guitars!

Check YouTube for Clips...there are really nice one to every model!

16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Mine ain't gonna impress you either. :rotflmao

It does however feature the bridge and neck pickups for the solos (two tracks mixed together). The bridge-middle and neck-middle combos with the Bass Contour turned all the way for more Strat-like tones are used for the rhythm parts. It's "In Walked Bud Improv".

Guitar is Jetstream 390 with Wilkinson trem (before Reverend stopped using Wilkinsons).

Narrowness of neck is something I never noticed - doesn't seem noticeably narrower than necks of other guitars I've tried, except a classical guitar and the Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy.

17. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have the Jetstream 390. Its not here to replace Strats or Teles. But it is an awesome guitar with its own sound and feel.

18. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Warhawk II HB user here. I love mine. It blows my mind that I got this guitar for $400. I'm definitely a Reverend fan now. I think I need eleven or twelve more.:crazy