"Reverse boost" using EQ or boost pedal - anybody do this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SmelltheGlove, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

I have a 2 channel Orange Rockerverb. I like the Dirt channel with the gain at around noon, but this amp also sounds really cool at even higher gain settings, like around 2 o'oclock or so. I want to be able to have both settings handy. Problem is, just adding a boost pedal on the Dirt channel set to noon doesn't work at getting it up to the higher gain setting, the Orange's Dirt channel doesn't really respond much to boost pedals for some reason.

I guess I could just setting the Dirt channelf for the higher-gain setting and roll the guitar volume knob back to approximate the lower gain setting. That works ok, but sometimes I wish I had a bit more immediacy to the gain change.

Anyway, I was thinking about trying to use an EQ pedal as a "reverse boost" - that is, dial in my amp for the higher gain setting, and then set the EQ to a lowered output so that when I stomp on it, it gets me back to the same sound as if my amp were set to noon. Has anybody ever done this, and if so how does it work? I've heard that this trick works with an RC Booster, but that's $175 and I'm wondering if an EQ may work just as well for this use.

2. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I can't comment on your idea but I'll chime in and say that most Orange amps I've played don't respond well to OD pedals, but the Fulltone OCD really gets it there for me, I wouldn't play mine without it. I run it more like a boost, lots of volume, very little gain.

3. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

Thanks for that tip man, I may have to check out a OCD. I guess the mental block I'm having it that my amp already has all the distortion I could want built in - high gain, low gain, it's all there, with just different twists of the gain knob - so I'm hesitant to buy another pedal that ADDS distortion to the clean channel, rather I'm wondering if I could SUBTRACT from the amp's distortion. Two ways of reaching the same place I guess, but I guess I'm thinking, the different distortions are already there on tap, why not use them? But anyway, thanks again for the OCD suggestion.

4. Platypus

The way I run the OCD it doesn't really add distortion at all, it just tightens up the sound that's already there. It all depends on how you play too, I wouldn't think to tell you how to do your thing but what's worked for me is to put the gain around 2 o clock on the orange's dirt channel and leave it there.

Put the OCD in front of it with volume at noon, drive round 8-9 and the tone slightly off from noon. This gets me the heaviest sound I'd ever want out of a vintage style amp without adding gain and then to get the lower gain sound I roll off the guitar volume. Usually 10 for heavy riffing and solos and around 7 for rhythm lower gain tones.

I use the clean channel with my fuzz factory or just straight up because the clean on this amp is surprisingly great.

There are a ton of ways to skin the cat here, hopefully you find one that works good for you. If you're near a dealer who sells the pedal I think it's worth it to look into it but hopefully someone can answer your original question a bit better

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

get a box, a couple of jacks, a switch and a 250k pot. Instant volume knob with a switch. :JAM

Scott

6. Phineas

Phineas Member

Platypus - i use the FFactory on the clean channel too of the rv100 but how would one go about switching from the dirt channel (say from a rhythm pt) to the clean + FF (say for a lead pt). The issue i have is simultaneous switching on for this scenario.

7. webs

webs Supporting Member

I use a compressor turned way down to achieve a similar effect, only it thins out the sound when it's turned on, being a compressor and all. Probably not what you're looking for, but you can do it with pretty much any pedal.

8. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

9. Platypus

Yeah I have the same dilema :(

Orange makes a footswitch for the amp.. kind of lame.. no REALLY lame that it isn't included with the amp but I digress

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

The RC works great for that exact applications (and many others) and can be had used for around $130-140

I heard of another pedal that's designed for that job called the scalpel(?)
    Haven't used it so I can't comment on it other than that.

11. Antero

Antero Member

:messedup

You'd seriously drop 130 bucks to do a job that could be done by $20 of parts?

Scottywompas has the right idea here - this is a MASSIVELY simple DIY project.

If you wanted to get even SIMPLER, like $2, you could add a switch to your guitar to take the volume pot in and out of the signal path - instant rhythm switch - or try a variation (second volume pot, concentric pots with a toggle, push-pull pot).

If you don't want to do the whole DIY thing, FX Doctor sells The Scalpel for $40, or $50 if you want to make sure it doesn't attenuate highs.

If you spend more than that, I will be severely disappointed in your common sense.:rolleyes:

12. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I've used a sniper modded Ge-7 for that in the past it worked great and allowed me to use the full gain of the amp for lead tones and then back off on the gain and eq out some mids for rhythm. I've since figured out other ways to do this but it worked great at the time

13. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

There used to be a pedal made by TopHat amps that had such a function. I believe it was called the Xpressor. It had true bypass (for straight tone/gain), a boost, and a third switchable volume cut. You would then crank your amp (pedal bypassed), switch on the boost for more gain, or the volume cut for clean. It works best with a cranked non master volume amp. Suffice to say, it has been done and can be achieved with most of the pedals everybody else has mentioned. TopHat is the only one that I know that has actually made a pedal for that purpose.

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not the same thing at all, using the RC you get zero treble loss and active tone controls.

It's one of the many things I do with my RC.

15. tfire

tfire Member

Another vote for the RC Booster here. It works really well for this application.