Review: Diezel Herbert vs Universal Audio Herbert Plugin

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Belensky, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Belensky

Belensky Member

I've been playing Diezel amps for several years, Herbert is my main amp of choice, and I never looked back to anything to replace it. I Had Diezel VH4, Mesa Mark IV, Mark V, Rectifier, also tried Mesa JP2C, Soldano SLO100, Friedman BE100, Bogner Ecstasy, and couple old JCM800 – Herbert is still the king, at least for me.

The main reason why I bought this plugin, was to have some little travel/practice rig, so I can play through similar setup when I don't have amp available, and the other reason is not to burn tubes for nothing, when I just need to practice some licks.

After hearing some demos I was very sceptical, for me personally, none of amp modellers will ever completely replace tube head. But after testing it extensively for couple weeks, I have to admit UAD Herbert sounds pretty good, behaves more or less same way, as real Diezel Herbert. off course there are some digital artefacts, and less 3D comparing to real amp, but for what it does I think this UAD simulation is pretty good.

Other reason why I find this plugin appealing is because it looks like real amp, approved by Diezel himself, so the is no silly made-up name ala DZL, Benzin or violation of intellectual property etc.

I wasn't crazy about build in IR's of Diezel cab, I think they OK, but to my taste OwnHammer IR's of the same Diezel cab sounds better. It would be great if UAD will make some kind of external IR loader, so everybody can use their own IR's with low latency Apollo interface.

Also have to say that, there are many other plugins that sounds as good as UAD Herbert(for example Poulin Lepou makes some great and free stuff, Nembrini SLO100 and others.

So here is my quick comparison, Amp and Plugin recorded at the same time, guitar(Hamer Californian) goes to Fractal FX8(which is only for splitting signal) then one part of signal goes directly to UAD and Herbert Plugin, the other one goes to amp, then Suhr reactive load and UAD card. I didn't use Stock IR, because I think that IR of Diezel cab loade with Eminence Governor (OwnHammer) sounds way better. Some delay, and modulation done by Eventide H3000

DC42, temple12 and jcmmnx like this.
  2. james...

james... Supporting Member

Hat's off to Brainworx, they've definitely got some great software, particularly in the SSL department.

The uphill battle that these developer's are facing is that companies like Fractal (and even Line 6 at this point) are years ahead of them in figuring out how to do this stuff. I commend them for trying. They're definitely not the first or the last.

3. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Brainworx did a bunch of the UAD plugins, they're not exactly newbs at this.

guitarobert and MixMinisterMike like this.
  4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

That's true, though FAS in particular has been at it for a significantly longer period of time.

5. Dave Merrill

Guess that's true, but they're still not newcomers.

Anyway, I'm certainly not dissing Fractal, just saying the I dig a number of Plugin Alliance/Brainworx plugins, including some amp sims.

6. james...

Brainworx is no slouch. That's for sure. There's a reason this Diezel thing sounds so good already.

7. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

Loved the demo! They sound really really close, the Diezel has some extra oomph, but the plugin is so close that it's definitely worth it for practice and late night recording, or just simple reamping.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

With the exception of Channel 2, everything sounded really close to my ears.

9. Dave Merrill

It's out today, $149, $99 for a little while with coupon in email, minus whatever monthly voucher level you're at based on your purchase history. Not surprised, but I wish it was less.

There are also new rental options to get everything they own.

Personally, I'm mostly Helix these days, so VSTs aren't that big a part of my life, even ones I already have that I like.

10. Belensky

Belensky Member

I don't think line6 has ever produced anything that sounds decent, nothing original, always mediocre sounding
    even digitech came up with some very cool and original effects(like whammy or freakout)
    boss stuff is always very good, strymon, eventide, fractal you name it but not line 6.

11. james...

There are hundreds if not thousands of users on the forum who would respectfully disagree with that.

BillTrantos likes this.
  12. Belensky

Belensky Member

if somebody likes line 6 products it's fine god bless them, I just think that some companies like Line 6 doesn't produce gear as good as some other companies but they have bigger marketing budget.

Positive grid Bias is the other good example, in my opinion it's one of the worst amp vst amp modeller I've ever tried, but its very popular, why? because they literally paid every YouTube guitar blogger to advertise them.
    their VH4 model had nothing similar to real vh4.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  13. Dave Merrill

Personally, I'd never heard of Helix until someone on another board saw my post thinking about building a VST-based live rig, and said I should check it out. I did, and kept it, based on tones, capabilities, and user experience. Marketing had zero to do with it.

14. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

I heard a gentlemen play some outstanding finger-style guitar at a small club in NH back in the 90s. His guitar sounded phenomenal, he was a touring pro and wowed the audience. At the time I was a guitar snob who only owned Brazilian rosewood guitars with fancy spruce tops ... so I was completely floored when he told us his guitar was made from plywood.

The point being great music can come out of anywhere. Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.