REVIEW: Mark Cameron 1959SL Jose Mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eddyrox, Dec 20, 2005.

1. eddyrox

eddyrox Member

Picked-up my "Jose" modded 59 on Sunday night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:
    100W of Marshall middy, brown tone.
    2 gain channels w/ independent preamp controls and bright switches.
    quasi "3rd" channel (push/pull on the Master volume)
    serial effects loop
    bass boost/dark switch/frequency (voicing) control

Sound:
    Sheeeet. This badboy runs from plexi-ish Cream/Hendrix to Eddie (of course) to Sykes to Zakk, w/ a lot of Mesa Boooogie IIC+ to boot. Mark's voicing coupled w/ the "bright cap" and "dark cut" switches effectively emphasize or diminish certain frequencies. Again, you want Scorpions/Maiden/Priest - it's there. Van Halen/Rhoads/Wylde - there. Hell Master of Puppets is in there - but I haven't had enough time to dial it out of the head. More to follow.

Reliability/Customer Support/Overall Rating: HCAF BS questions. (this is from my 2001 HC review) I've been playing Cameronized Marshalls since 1999. My Mark IIC+ is gathering dust. I still have an ADA MP1 and dumped a Rocktron Piranha and JMP1 - why? Lack of usel.

Mark is a native to Los Angeles, so he works with all sorts of pros here in town. But he's still one of the most humble guys I've ever met. And it goes without saying that he services his clients' gear as if it were his own. I'm giving the 10 for customer support to Mark, his golden ears, and his willingness to help anyone who asks. Thanks again Mark!

Do yourself a favor and contact Mark to get your Marshall "Cameronized". There are tons of guys out there who'll claim to nail "(fill in your favorite guitar idol here)" tone or whatever. How many of them can DESCRIBE the tone technically as well as artistically?

Editorial::horse
    ....oh and I won't be posting any F-ing pix of the chassis or PCB. :moon Mark's reiterated his hatred of this practice. :Devil

On the subject of "rewarding Mark's untimeliness" - caveat emptor. My experience is that Mark jumps through hoops to help out his customers. Sometimes he gets behind, but he always calls me back. Leave him a message on his phone 818/445-2059 if you want one of these boutique amp killers. Timing-wise the man has time right now. IF you ever wanted your amp Cameronized, now's the time. :AOK

2. myles111

myles111 Member

When you talk to Mark please tell him hello from Myles

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

as a huge john sykes fan, id be very grateful if you posted some scorching rhythm clips and neck pickup leads with a les paul if one is available, i saw john sykes in belfast a few months ago and his modded jcm800s also slayed me with unbelievable tones.

jimmy

4. rockstah

rockstah Member

where are the chassis shots? post some pics of the insides of the chassis, please!

5. rockstah

rockstah Member

post some chassis shots already!

6. rockstah

rockstah Member

post some chassis shots@!!!!!!

7. evhtone

evhtone Member

Not going to happen.

8. rockstah

rockstah Member

9. rockstah

rockstah Member

10. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Over the past couple of years, people have suggested contacting Mark and getting work done. In my experience, I never could get the dude to call me back (even during another period when he was supposedly taking on new work). Considering that the guy has taken 6+ months to turn around other amps, I'll definitely be steering clear. Having said that, his amps do sound amazing. He just appears to be a complete and total flake.

11. eddyrox

eddyrox Member

:AOK thanks man!

12. rockstah

rockstah Member

so you are not willing to show the chassis shots? now that is hilarious! why wouldnt you want to?

13. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I checked out your plexi shots. THe build quality is just impeccable on that amp! Great stuff. But why in the world did you put a MASTER Volume on board. I liked the last sound clip withOUT the master volume . THe sound is very smooth and has the characteristic Marshall midrange . Puffy, spongey and very power tubey sounding. The Master volume clips was actually kind of gritty and uninspiring to me? I think that the NON MASTER Volume Marshalls should stay the waythe were meant to be. STOCK. if anything, Run a Valvedriver 12ax7 pedal in the front door and bridge the channels together. THat is the smoothest gain I have ever heard. I happened to try a SUPERLEAD PCB version Marshall which is the crappy ass ICe Pick Marshall SLP from 2001 or so. I Bridged the channels on it and ran a ZVEX Fuzz Factory thru it. It still had basically a nice raw tone but was rough and needed work.

NOTHING Beats a 59SLP and a Tube driven pedal bridsging the channels IMO. SUPER SMOOTH AND SUSTAIN . Ultoimate pick attack tone and VERY INSPIRING . THe BEST CLIPS I heard recently were that on the Mojave ampworks site of the JTM45 clone they have. Clip # 9 and #10 are of the JTM45 with just that, The Channels bridged and a Tonebone Hot British or something equivelant running in the front door. It sounds like ZZ Top but it has a SUPER SMOOTHNESS TO IT! VERY NICE. I want one. But im at a cross road cause I want to run my Effects Loop through one of my Two amps !. Anyway, Good Stuff Bro! The Marshall is sweet. DUmp the Master Volume mod !

14. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Congrats.
    Does he have a web site?

15. rockstah

rockstah Member

thanks alot for the words and food for thought on my amp build i appreciate it ( my amp is in my signature ) and i too like it better without the master volume :)
    i want this guy to show us some shots of his chasis with that jose mod - i cant believe hes holding back -= why else are we here buit to share ideas concepts and findings - that would be a great contribution for thosE of us that know whats going on in amp - **** if you cAN know that much from looking at an amp you deserve to be able to try the values you see - COME ON DUDE SHOW US THE CHASSIS ALREADY

16. rockstah

rockstah Member

and why r u so quick to say what hes going to do or not? SHOW THE CHASSIS SHOTS ALREADY!

17. rockstah

rockstah Member

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

dUDE, use your search function , and then you'll realize why he's not going to send you or post the shots of Cameron's work. It's all over 2 forums on the net. Then let it go

ERIC

19. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

I have a JMP that will probably be sent to Cameron in a few months...if i ever can contact him :rolleyes:
    Haven´t heard the Jose mod, but i´ve heard Doug Aldrich live a couple of times and those Cameron modded JMPs sounded so great i could not believe it :Devil

20. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I think its uncalled for on this board for juvenile name calling, there are more tactful ways to express your disdain.