Review of BlackMesaGuitars.com

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Unforgiven2644, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Unforgiven2644

Unforgiven2644 Member

Black Mesa Guitar Review
    Features:
    I had my first Black Mesa made in early 2008 and my second in early 2009 they were hand built by the best luthier I know and one hell of a dedicated guy named Clint Dougherty.

Both the Arrow and my Black Mesa body style have 24 frets and whats more is because of the crazy torsion logic system Clint has developed I can play on all 24 comfortably.

Solid walnut top on the Mesa bodystyle and a solid body black limba on the Arrow.

I had two volumes and a 3 way p/up selector put on the mesa and had the same setup with the addition of a tone knob on the Arrow.

I have two active humbuckers in both the Mesa has an EMG 81 in the neck and an EMG 60 in the bridge while the Arrow had Seymour Duncan Blackouts in both positions.

The Mesa had the walnut top, a spanish cedar middle, and a curly maple back with a curly maple neck and a paiferro fretboard. The Arrow was solid body limba and had a curly maple neck with an oh so sweet acrolyzed maccasar ebony fretboard.

The Mesa has an oil finish which is very natural and beautiful and great for speed on the neck. The Arrow had a laquer finish on the headstock and the body but once again that speedy oil finish on the neck.

For the body styles they are both unique so you will have to check them out at blackmesaguitars.com.

Both bridges are kahler trems.

Tuners are Gotoh locking on the Mesa and Steinberger gearless locking tuners(which are incredible) on the Arrow.

Medium jumbo nickel frets and a very thing(close to wizzard) neck on the Mesa and stainless steel tiny frets on the Arrow which has a similar neck.

Both came with cases.
    Sound:
    Both guitars are amazing I play everything from heavy metal to blues to classical to jazz and these guitars can do it all.

I used these guitars with my crate solid state 120 watt combo for the majority of the time I owned them and they sounded amazing through that and believe me that wasn't the amp but I just recently got a mesa boogie dual rectifier roadster 2x12 combo and believe me that doesn't hurt the situation.

These guitars are dead quiet and I love it.

These guitars are great I mean I can hit some mean highs and some beefy lows but thats not what impresses me about a guitar its more about the mids for me and when Im warming up with these babies unplugged o man it just sounds good any note just resonates in your ear and sits well with you.

Variety like no other I have owned everything from top of the line Fender strats and ESP guitars and Gibsons and nothing can keep up with me like these can and like I said one minute I'm playing J.S Bach's Courante the next Jason Becker's version of Paganini's fifth Capriccio and the next I'm playing Metallica's Master of Puppets and it always sounds good.

I like it all how could I not it was built for me and I can't wait to get my logicaster.

Action, Fit, & Finish:
    Set up perfect to my standards. Here is a true story showed the Mesa to a friend of mine when I got it he is a shredder big into Guthrie Govan and Paul Gilbert, as am I, anyway my buddy takes a look and goes oh my god how can he get the action that low doesn't it buzz he plugs it into a clean sound and plays a nice c maj 9 perfect then a few shred scales and its amazing. So then I get the Arrow and we do the whole thing again and he's in shock because he thinks the action maybe even LOWER it was amazing and I love it and again you can have it set up the way you want it.

Pickups were great.

Top was perfect as was the bridge.

Everything came tip top and was perfect still haven't had problems they are great guitars and durable.
    Reliability/Durability:
    This guitar will definitely withstand amazing quality in the build.

Hardware is perfecto man couldn't be better.

The laquer finish is more durable if you aren't into maintenance but over time with periodic oilings the oil finish becomes very tough there are advanteges to both and once again you get to choose but both hold up well and this is coming from a guy who plays at least 6 hours a day.

Schaller strap locks you don't get much more solid than that.

Both are very dependable more so than any other guitar I have ever owned.

I have used my Mesa on a few gigs without a backup and would use either without the other again It went well each time.

Customer Support:
    Best customer service in the world Clint legitamitely cares about his clientel and wants to see that they are happy with the instrument and that they can use it and play it and have fun and express themselves with it.

I've wiggled the 3 pin connector out of the EMG on accident before and had an issue and got a hold of Clint and he helped me figure out the issue ASAP and had me up and running again.

As far as warranty I'm not exactly sure that stuff is on the site(blackmesaguitars.com) and you can always email and ask Clint.
    Overall Rating:
    I don't know how long I've been playing but I am a studen at GIT of Musician's institute in Holllywood, CA and I know it has been years of hard work and many hours of practice and playing 6-10 hours a day.

It was a step by step process and usually any questions I would have had Clint asked me first and the only time I asked questions myself was id something he said to me prompted something in my brain.

If it were stolen or lost I'd be pissed I love these guitars and I would definitely buy from Black Mesa again I am exclusive to Black Mesa now I see no other reason to buy an electric guitar elsewhere nothing compares.

I love that these guitars are mine and noone else has the same anywhere in the world. I hate nothing about it I don't even dislike anything about them. I love the necks on both they fit perfectly in my hand.

I played a '59 gibson LP reissue for awhile and grew to hate it. Samething with a Buddy Guy signature strat. And my ESP KH-2 was good for awhile but I had limited options with it. I chose Black Mesa because I couldn't find the guitar I wanted and needed to play MY music on anywhere else and Clint built me those guitars.

They have everything I need.

The Price can be whatever you want it to be Clint Is a very reasonable guy and offers a fair price but if you want expensive hardware you have to pay for it. The Logicaster cost $1500. The difference and quite frankly the reason to spend the money on a Black Mesa rather than anything else is because it is made for YOU and it will feel and play like YOUR guitar I have a much deeper connection with these guitars than I have ever had with any other guitar and I know all the hard work sweat and blood and attention to detail that Clint puts into each guitar and Fender, Gibson, ESP, and Ibanez certainly don't lose sleep about minor imperfections or how you feeel about your guitar where as Clint will.

Contact me for any further information you would like.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Real or a work of fiction? To the OP, do you have a link or a couple pics? And, welcome to the Gear Page!

4. crosse79

crosse79 Member

He's just talking about the review of the website and not the guitars ;) read the title. Anyhow a lot of the terms used are too glossy & hyped up unless this can be backed up. Oh well - I never bothered to even visit the website. Notice also the Harmony Central format the message is being posted. Do I smell a manufacturer hiding behind the username?

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Nice to meet you Mr. Dougherty. I'm glad you like your guitars.

6. MOJO

MOJO Member

7. Gepetto

Gepetto Member

Wow. I popped in to see what Matt had to say, but I wasn't quite expecting the review or the attendant cynicism. Maybe the big builders wouldn’t deign to respond to these suspicions, but as a little guy I have to jump in. I can assure you all that Matt’s words are his, not mine (well, “Black Mesa Guitars” came from me, if you want to be really picky). I don’t have the gonads to say stuff like that about myself or the guitars I make.

Ah, the perils of free publicity...

Clint Dougherty
    Black Mesa Guitars
    www.blackmesaguitars.com

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Wow, those are some absolutely, kick-ass looking guitars! I'm going to have to explore your site some more. The original post might have been spamalicious, but it's always nice to hear about new builders.

-Austin

9. Gepetto

Gepetto Member

Thanks, Austin; I appreciate it.

Clint

10. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Hey Clint:

Great user name/handle and nice reply. Glad to see someone follow his passion. Best of luck with Black Mesa...and welcome to TGP.

11. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

I'm diggin' the headstock and Steinberger tuners on the Logicasters... :love:

12. DC1

DC1 Member

Hi Clint,

The guitars and basses are beautiful. I'd love to hear one sometime.

What part of the country are you in?

dc

13. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Hello Clint, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry some of us can be a bit abrasive. It's amazing how one can get tripped up when jumping to conclusions! Hope you'll stick around and become a regular contributor. We are blessed with quite a few talented and intelligent builders who are gracious enough to share their knowledge with the rest of us.

Peace!

14. Unforgiven2644

Unforgiven2644 Member

Ok first of all it is a review of the guitars my name is Matt I own two of them you can find both on the website the Arrow will be easy to find and my Mesa body is the only one with EMG pickups. Second of all yes this is real Clint is a great luthier and I buy my guitars from him and I have never seen such a great guitar nor have I played one and I wanted people who had the same feeling about guitars and music to be able to find what they were looking for and I know Black Mesa is the place to do that. hird thanks to the people who replied after Clint I appreciate your kindness and you will be the reason I continue to come this forum. If you still have a problem email me(Matt the guy who owns two Black Mesa Guitars) at maninthebox2644@aol.com

P.S I used the harmony central format because I wrote a review on there and thought that there fromat was very well thought out.

15. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Welcome aboard, Matt. Thanks for the heads up on BlackMesa. You might want to spell out your email ( maninthebox2644 at aol dot com) rather than posting a link. Prevents spambots from getting ahold of it. You can edit your post with the edit button and then hit save to change it... ;)

16. DC1

DC1 Member

Don't sweat it Matt. We do get shills around here sometimes, glad to hear you are not one of them.

Welcome to TGP

dc

17. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Those guitars look great!

18. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

19. Thor

Thor Member

dig the Michael Tobias vibe of the guitars, and that double neck bass/guitar looks really great!

-Edward

20. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Welcome Matt!

Thanks for the thoughtful review!

Peace.