Review on Fender John Mayer signature strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tomo, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

I just received a John Mayer strat from John Mayer! I couldn't believe this. He is so kind. What a great gift! I am really enjoying this guitar. Let me say about JM strat.

First... about the pickups... They are not low output to me. I mean ... if you compare with a Texas special pickup? The JM strat's pickups are 6.1, 6.1. and 7.6 on rear. Fralins from my SRV are 6.0, 5.9, 7.2 ? My pickups are much brighter... Similar somewhat...but I really dig these pickups(JM).. not scooped mid to me. It's full and bright. Plus it came with tone caps so that your tone is very steady even when you turn your guitar volume down. Best current fender pickups I ever played. I am really enjoying this.

The neck.... feels a bit fatter than my SRV and I could tell this shape came from some vintage 60's strat( and SRV strat). Really comfortable and plays very nice. Frets are medium jumbos(the 6105 fretwire). Good choice. Radius is 12"? 9.5 raidius. Somewhat my SRV feels flatter than the JM strat. Mine is slightly has flame on back of neck.

The body... feels a bit heavier than my SRV. My John Mayer strat is SB.
    What else? Yes, the saddles.... are these titanium? My SRV has titanium saddles. Sounded really full and great as acoustically.

One more.... comes with a custom bag. It's very nice soft case but it seems really strong to travel, safe for guitar. There are many pockets inside of bag. I really liked this.

Overall John Mayer signature start is a great guitar. When I got my SRV strat, I had to changes many things. I changed the pickups, volume pot, pickguard, saddles and frets (3 times).

If you play blues or funk, John Mayer strat is really good choice for that and you don't have to change anything.

PS, I will see him on his tour 8/29. I am really looking forward to.

Tomo

2. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Glad you like your guitar. Couple things, the radius is 9 1/2, and the saddles are certainly not titanium. If your SRV has titanium saddles someone other than the folks at Fender installed those. They are just unplated/polished steel. Interesting that the "Big Dipper" pickups don't sound mid scooped. I suppose the guitar itself is rather full sounding and complementing the pickups, in which case you probably have one sweet sounding guitar.

3. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Tomo-

Thanks for the nice review. I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but this makes me curious (although I am very happy with my Suhr). How do the V60LP pickups compare with your Fralins and the JM strats pickups?

That was incredibly nice of John to send this to you. I actually really dig the more blues-oriented stuff he has been doing lately. It is refreshing to have someone on the pop scene playing guitar-oriented music.

Hope all is well with you,

Steve

PS - this fall I'll be in Boston, hope to see you then.

4. fatback

fatback Member

What a cool gift. With all of the slagging that JM gets on this board for his pop success, this gift reveals him to be an appreciative and respectful student. Congrats Tomo and thanks for sharing.

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

Tomo. Like you, JM is a VERY giving person. His sig Strat is my favorite. Neck is 9.5" radius and the smooth satin feel is great. I swapped out the pups for a set of VanZant Vintage Pluses. The stock pickups are greet thru Tweed amps, but the scooped mids thru Blackface amps, simply lacked any mid-range bite. A Tubescreamer would fix this, but hey it's a Fender and easy to change.

Please post some clips. I always enjoy when you post these...

-KD

6. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks for your input. More I play this guitar, now I feel the 9.5 radius.
    My SRV came with gold one... then I switched to graphtech, then the titanium
    but I left one black graphtech saddle on high E string. Unplated and unpolished steel! It's nice looking. Actually my SRV got more top and bottom end.... mid scooped? I really liked these pickups. Yes, this guitar sings well... good one.

Tomo

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

glad you are liking your new axe tomo! we have one here at the store i work at and its really nice and comfortable...thats why im suprised that it hasnt sold yet!

im still working with AYGP and its kicking my butt! you are great tomo!

8. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

I was so mad when this thing came out...

Being a racing junkie, I had this idea that it would be cool to put a 1950's style racing stripe on my strat. Used photoshop to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, got up the nerve to pull the pick guard and spray paint a cool stripe on there. Now I have a fairly unique guitar. WRONG.

No more than 2 to 4 weeks later I open up a new Musician's Friend catalog and there is the John Mayer Sig Strat with a nearly identical stripe. AArrgggh!

9. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I really like the one that I stupidly sold off...I'd like to get another.

10. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've only played one JM guitar back in the winter, but it seemed nice. I like the neck, and the 6105 fretwire. The one I played seemed a little heavy to me, but I'm used to my hollow Tyler SE.

That was a very nice thing for John to do for you Tomo. Everybody can say what they want about the guy (trust me I've had more than my share to say!!) but I think he is pretty genuine.

11. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Steve,

How's going? You're welcome! I have been playing my JM strat
    for my tape lessons. It sounded great for jazz too. I was playing
    "Four on six" this morning.

It's tough to say the comparison on those pickups.... all great sounding...
    Plus each on differtent fretboard on my guitars. I recorded bunch..so
    I let you listen them later. How about that?

When he came to Berklee for his clinic... he mentioned me about his
    signature from Fender... I never expected liike this. I really appreciate
    his kindness. John plays great!

Yes, please let me know when you are going to come this way...

PS, I just made John Mayer strat clips.

Tomo

12. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I love mine. I bought it for the neck alone. I know it's 9.5, but for some reason it feels flatter. I also like the tall & narrow frets. The pups weren't bad, but I already had a pre-wired set of Suhr V60lps that were going in something and I wasn't messing with my EJ strat.

I've read some complaints about the factory set up, but I got a perfect one. I agree about the case. Feels like it offers greater protection that a hard shell.

13. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Yeah I realize it's not the first but stripes weren't terribly popular before. But since this guys popular now I feel like I'm gonna look like some kind of wannabe.

Just to clarify - that's not to say that anyone the buys the Signature model is a wannabe. It sounds like a good guitar

14. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

Tomo, the frets on those are actually narrow jumbo as opposed to medium jumbo. The SRV and the Mayer have larger taller frets (6105's) than most modern Fender models, which come with medium jumbos. That's why I want one. If Fender made one with 6100's I'd want that even more, I play 11's or 12's, depending on the frets on the guitar. The taller the frets, the heavier gauge string I can use and still be able to get enough leverage under the string without it slipping out from under my fingers when I'm trying to bend.

15. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

The frets are 6105's (narrow jumbo). Here is a description of fret sizes from Warmoth.com for anyone interested

6100 (.112" X .055") Huge! This is big stuff for the almost scalloped feel.

6105 (.096" X .047") Narrow and tall. A very popular choice.

6130 (.106" X .036") Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo". This is the size
    found on many Gibson necks.

6230 (.080" X .043") This is the smallest fret wire. Used in older Fender necks.

6150(.103" X .046") A true "Jumbo". It is about the same width as the 6130
    but a bit taller.

16. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

17. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

Now you know how I felt in '78 when EVH came out. My guitar looked exactly like that. But everyone thought I copied him! :p

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes it is. Very cool gift! Just don't pay attention to those negative comments.
    Yes, he is very appreciative and respectful person. Very cool guy!

I am really looking forward to seeing him this tour. He told me that he will show me his latest rig! Two Rock made his signature model! We love the gears.

Thanks and you're welcome.

Tomo

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

This model comes without the stripes too (I think). The specs sound like the perfect Strat to me.

20. Stallion

Stallion Member

I played one for the first time this weekend. I was going to get a Robert Cray strat or G&L Legacy, but ater playing the Mayer strat I definitely have a third model to consider!