Review round-up: advanced guitar amp modellers!!!

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I actually thought that was a really lame "review". They didn't give any videos or clips and barely even touched on the sound of any of the units. There's no new information and even no opinion given at all. I guess it would be handy for someone who literally has never heard of these devices, but nothing beyond that.

Guitardave

I actually thought that was a really lame "review". They didn't give any videos or clips and barely even touched on the sound of any of the units. There's no new information and even no opinion given at all. I guess it would be handy for someone who literally has never heard of these devices, but nothing beyond that.

I think that's what they were aiming for...people not using the units already.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I actually thought that was a really good, impartial overview. Well done...

This was the best part!!! ;):p

Fractal’s AX8 pushes the Helix hard, though - it may not have as many features, but it has four times as many amp models, and they all sound great. The compact and robust construction makes the AX8 our favourite for live use and we think it’s a great first choice for someone who wants top-end digital modelling without spending crazy money. It’s easy to control, too

TimeSnow

Fractal’s AX8 pushes the Helix hard, though - it may not have as many features, but it has four times as many amp models, and they all sound great. The compact and robust construction makes the AX8 our favourite for live use and we think it’s a great first choice for someone who wants top-end digital modelling without spending crazy money. It’s easy to control, too

I was SURE you were gonna highlight this instead!:

Best all-rounder: Line 6 Helix Floorboard

veritechc

and I thought you would have highlighted this part of the AX8 review:

-it doesn’t have the dual amp and effects chains of its big brother-
or

-but no headphones socket and no USB audio. The display is nice and bright, but a little on the small side.

Lov ya Nic!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member

or

-but no headphones socket and no USB audio. The display is nice and bright, but a little on the small side.

Lov ya Nic!
:crazyguy

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I was SURE you were gonna highlight this instead!:

Best all-rounder: Line 6 Helix Bedroom Floorboard

Fixed it! :D

or

Lov ya Nic!

hahaha, well as i said before, a Helix double amp almost makes a good one AX8 amp sound.

And yes, you guys have a great displays but no grid, wasted space IMO.

Lov ya back Veri! ;):cool:

jageya

so...they prefer the ax8 i guess...

MIJLOVER

Well maybe not an in depth review but I think it's great that high end modeling gear gets some attention by the gear mags. And while we all prefer different things we gotta agree with the sentiment that modeling has come a real long way in recent years! :)

I'll let you return to the bickering now ;)

VCuomo

:agree That was one of the worst "review roundups" I've ever read...

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
I read that review in Total Guitar when it was published a couple weeks back, all those reviews appear there too, they are owned by the same entity. All modern magazine review pieces are absolute fluff, nothing against anyone (other than the publishers who are probably acting out of desperation) but they are not going to say anything bad about a customer or potential customer with magazines dying a slow death. Notice how each one gets some "Best <blank>" label, one per unit. Yay! Everyone gets a trophy!

That said, no one is buying a $1K+ processor based on just a single mag review in the age of information. They'll come here and we can help balance things out by telling them they all s*ck.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom