review Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kmanick, Jan 4, 2014.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

Curious if these would be a upgrade, tone wise, from my QSC K12's….

I would love some CLR's but I don't have the $2k to acquire them.

Coaxial speakers seem to be the way to go for FRFR rigs.

Any thoughts?

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

if they bought in lots of 10,000 but my guess is they buy in smaller qty so the price is somewhat higher. pure speculation but based on similar drivers on the market.

same with the power amp modules. you can buy those modules in bulk for far less than i quoted above. when i was looking for power amps for my own build i could find them around $175-200. 350wrms stereo amp, or mono option for about $125 (good noise spec) with different input jack options (xlr/1/4 combo, rca) and combo ext jack option.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. pima1234

pima1234 Member

The Xitone powered wedge is nice. Can be plenty loud.

The 2x12 passive wedges are monstrous! When the CLRs get here Friday, I will be comparing them to my Xitones with Carvin DCM1540L and my Adam monitors. (Just a note: I'm already preparing to pack up my current rig.)

4. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

5. kmanick

kmanick Member

I still stand by these. The CLR is obviously a superior product, but the active versions of these sound very good.
    there is someone over on the FAS forum that has been gigging with the seismic in backline on a pole and has had zero issues with it.
    I am sending mine back tomorrow (It arrived damaged) but only to swap it for one that is not damaged.
    In stereo with my CLR (mixed in just a little lower) they sound great together.
    If I was to gig with these I'd probably try the 15" (they are "compact" wedges)

6. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I'm going to have to try one of the 15" versions. Just too tempting at their price point.

7. pima1234

pima1234 Member

I'm also really interested. For use a simple stage monitor, if it's loud and clear enough, it's worth what they're asking, plain and simple.

Like I said above, I really like the Xitones. The build quality is unsurpassed, as they are very sturdy with a durable coating. They are plenty loud and clear with nice dispersion.

But, if something is available at a lower price point, and is useable with decent quality, it's at least worth trying.

8. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

They occasionally put these on sale but at $325, it is hard to beat. I have an Alto TS112A now and like it but we use those for PA when we play out and I'm stuck using a "regular" amp. Getting one of these would allow me to use the 11R and still hear myself like a "regular" amp. Since I'm a bit old school, that's what I need right now...

The drivers in the XiTone are Emience Beta 12CX and I've thought about building a cab as per Eminence's specs and use their recommended hi-freq driver and xover and using a 250watt Dayton plate amplifier to drive them. More expensive but I like tinkering.

9. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Yes. Those contain the nicer driver and I would have preferred that, but I opted for the FL-12MP-PW. I just need something that will be sufficient.

The FL has a cheaper driver, and although I don't if it uses the same power amp, it is still class A/B. But, it has much lower SPL handling (probably mainly due to the driver).

I'll report back.

10. pima1234

pima1234 Member

As I said above, I wound up purchasing the FL-12MP-PW. I need time to dial it in (it literally just arrived), but it will suffice, which is all I need it to do at the moment. I will test it at higher volume this weekend at a student recital.

Pales in comparison to the Xitone, for sure. For one thing, Xitone cabs are extraordinarily durable, with the Line X coating.

It's no comparison at all to a CLR.

I would like to test the SAX-12M-PW 12 at some point, as they seem to be a little closer in design to the CLR, but I decided to just go with something a little cheaper for now (you know, with having just purchased CLRs and all... LOL!).

I will say that Xitone cabs are awesome. They are a worthwhile investment. It's pretty clear, based some of the posts I see here, that CLRs aren't for everyone. I absolutely love mine, and they will simplify my gear because I feel confident using them as studio monitors.

But, I still say that the Xitones are another excellent option that will work better for some people.

11. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Anyone gigging with the Seismic monitor\wedge? Is the Seismic 12M only putting out 250 watts? That seems very low for solid state wattage. When I played with my ART SLA 2 amp (200 watts) and Axe Fx, it was just about dimed to hang with my band.

12. Baminated

Baminated Member

weird - i have two (2) 100W solid state power amps through an EVM12L in which i use one for the main & the other for back up. I always get told to turn down. These are at bigger venues w/ various cover band material.
    I can barely get the volume up to noon before it's too loud.

anyway, back on topic - i think the seismic 15' will suit me - it's compact 300W w/117db sensitivity

13. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Just requested an RMA for the FL, and ordered a 12" SAX. 60Hz will be fine for limited bass use. Should have just ordered that to begin with. The better, coaxial driver and the 3 way switch will be the keys.

With a 10% off coupon, the SAX is a good deal, even though I have to pay return shipping. It's not like FL was expensive. Heck, I'm almost tempted to just sell it for $100 and take the hit.

14. pima1234

pima1234 Member

My SAX isn't functioning properly. As the sound decays, there is consistently an odd growl. Sounds like something is broken internally. There is no damage to the box, and the box is strong with adequate packing foam. Kind of ticked about that. Maybe I need to give a little time since it just arrived. I'll give it the weekend, I guess. I was hoping to use for a student recital though. So, my experience with Seismic speakers isn't very positive. Xitone and Atomic? Great!

I'll wait to see what the people at Seismic say, but at this point, I think I'm keeping the Xitone. It's a great wedge. No issues, other than it doesn't have a pole mount, which I need. There are times when I won't want to take the CLRs, and when I need to use the wedge has a PA speaker. I had hoped the SAX would work well for that.

15. JPenn

JPenn Member

any new word on these speakers? my little carvin monitor is doing weird ghost notes now, so i think it's about to take a dive on me. i sure think i would like the coax design more, so the seismic is kind of getting the nod as the replacement so far.

16. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

I've had a few dealings with Seismic and their service has been great every time. If there's a problem, they will take care of it ASAP.

17. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I'm on their mailing list and they sent me a 10% off coupon. That SAX15 is looking pretty tasty at $314

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

I just sent one back It Sounded terrible maybe it was broken I will give them the benefit of the doubt But I Have no interest in giving them another shot. From my going around The web reading reviews it seems about 1/2 are defective or get wrecked during shipping.

19. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Yup. Received my refund.

As an alternative to the Atomic CLRs, try Xitone.

20. Baminated

Baminated Member

ya, but it sounds 50/50 that ya might get it in on piece - not good when you consider return shipping, driving to and fro to the post office, etc . .