review Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by kmanick, Jan 4, 2014.

1. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Huh? With a speaker sound quality is pretty much the determining factor. With a modeler, sound quaity is certainly a factor but there are many others.

What if I use dual amp patches? Will the zoom handle that? I need midi. . .same question? Maybe a player prefers rack over floor boards. Maybe one guys go to amp is in the Axe and not in the Zoom? Maybe tonematching or custom IRs are important to some? Maybe the guy just can't gig without, cello, violin, sitar, etc etc etc sounds.

Maybe, some people require flexible effects routing. Maybe some just love ultra res IRs. . . .;-)

What about a guy that uses his Axe for recording 90% of the time and wants an ok solution for the occasional gig that will save him enough cash to upgrade his studio monitors he uses 90% of the time?

I think you will find more people with high end modelers and mid level or lower level speakers than guys with Zoom and CLR. Why is that?

2. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

Same deal for me, tried to order one based on a couple of reviews. When I got it it rattled like crazy (could have been defective). Cost me shipping and time. I personally don't think it is a good risk given the high number of people posting problems (myself included).

Get an alto if you want a decent cheap speaker. Or just buy the Xitone or CLR.

3. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I am currently using the CLR with VST plug ins and an Eleven Rack, it sounds phenomenal. I am on the waiting list for the Amplifire. I have tried a bunch of the sub $1000 speakers, K12, Alto, EV Elx112, Seismic, and to me the CLR is worth it for sure. Now I can pretty much just forget about the amp part and worry about the modeling.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

:sarcasm For the record, I think Jay was being sarcastic. :sarcasm

5. kmanick

kmanick Member

I received a replacement 15" SAX for the 12" I had last week.
    This one seems to have arrived in one piece and is much more open sounding than the 12" I had.
    I actually like mixing this with the CLR I have and running them in stereo, the 15" has
    more wattage than the 12" model does so it can hang a bit better with the CLR than the 12" could. It also has on board bass and treble so I can add a little "oomph" to my patches without any farting out and it is a 15" so it handles the low end better than the 12" did.

6. jimfist

jimfist Member

I'm not so sure, though you could take it that way. I think what Jay was saying is that if you are trying to get the most bang-for-buck out of a FRFR amp modeling rig, you might save a lot more money by using a less expensive modeler and a CLR, and perhaps with comparable or better sonic results, than you would by using a high end modeler with less expensive FR cabinets on the cheap. I understand exactly what he's saying. Of course, everybody has their own set of considerations, so to each their own.

Example: $800 used AxeFx Standard + CLR active cabinet = +/- $1800

versus

$2200 AxeFxII + $325 budget pro-sumer FR cabinet = +/- $2525

The only way to tell which works better or makes more sense is to try for yourself. I think it is a valid point of discussion.

7. glide-bpm

glide-bpm Member

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I own a 12" SAX and 15" SAX powered monitor from Seismic. Both came totally undamaged and fully functional.

I have driven them with an Axe II XL+, a Kemper, and now a Line 6 Helix. I have been satisfied running both. When using just one, I prefer the 15". It is a little more full and warm sounding IMHO. If it comes in undamaged, I think they are an excellent economical alternative to the higher cost solutions. I get many compliments on my tone and the band members think they sound great.

jimfist likes this.
  8. jimfist

jimfist Member

Since I've been using both for a couple of years now, my thoughts are largely unchanged: CLR for the win every time. Seismic for the bang-for-buck, and when I don't want to risk damage to my A rig. I still commonly use one or the other as the spirit moves me, and I'm happy to own and use both. The CLRs still impress me every time I use them. I'm particularly impressed by the passive pair I recently purchased (used). If I didn't have concerns over gigging in drunken "bucket o' blood" bars, I'd happily use 2 or 3 CLRs all the time.

The Seismic coaxials do represent quite a value, but it is a different value when compared to the CLR. JMHO. YMMV. yadda yadda yadda

glide-bpm likes this.
  9. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

Well stated! I play an Ax8 through FOH with IEM's and believe me, I keep a close eye on the Ax when folks are walking by. For guitars, PRS SE's and MIM Fenders. If they get knocked off the stand, It will not hurt as much.
    I simply can't justify bringing a 3K Guitar to a gig where I will earn $100.00.NO ONE in the bar will HEAR the difference and that's what really matters.

jimfist likes this.