Reviews on Line 6 M series modellers.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Demioblue, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Looking for inputs on the M13 and M9 for a quick fix to a cumbersome pedalboard for gigging. Anyone tried these? I have a feeling the M13 is too bid, and since I have a PODXTLive, I don't think I need anything that big. Would the M9 suffice?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Search is your friend.

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I have an m9. Its terrific! For tones I wouldn't normally go out and purchase? man.
    Although, I bought it for the delays and reverbs- I end up using the mods pretty often in addition to the delays.

Not going to be as high quality as eventide or t-rex delays- or analog mods... but for live application? Awesome.

4. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

for the M9, does it mean that I can have only 3 effects for selection at any time? or does it mean 3 banks and 3 effects each?

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

In momentary scene mode, the M9 has 3 banks of 2 effects. In latch scene mode, it will do 6 presets of up to 3 effects each.

6. Once Far Off

Once Far Off Member

for the m9 - up to 3 effects at once. I love mine. Don't use the dirt, but great delays and reverbs.

7. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

So how many effects in a chain can I have at tone time? If it only does 2 or 3, then why would I replace my pedalboard with one? I'm thinking it's more flexible that that?

How is the dirt though?

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Dirt is passable overall, although there among us here that reportedly enjoy the tube screamer, tube drive, and Line 6 Drive. Me, I don't mind my modulation, reverbs, and echoes as presets but despite the tweakability of the M-series, I always want my dirt pedals' settings in my face so separate pedals is suitable for my needs.

9. djy8131

djy8131 Member

My m9 had to go in for a couple month repair ( back ordered parts). I ended up buying a plimsoul, amp 11 and a memory lane jr to replace it. I like how easy my new rig is to tweak but miss the scenes. Now my m9 just sits there. ( line 6 gave me a brand new one since it took so long)

10. wesc

wesc Member

Ive had an M13 twice and would still love to have one if I had the extra money. The M13 can do 4 effects at once and the M9 does 3. The tubescreamer and tube driver were the only 2 drives I could ever find a semi decent sound on, but I ran my M13 in my amps fx loop and mainly just used the delays and reverbs and still had a small board with my ODs on it. I'm not a huge modulation or filter guy, so I only really used the trem aside from delays and reverbs, and a few octave settings. The auto wah setting sounds cool, but I never found a practical use for it. I really loved being able to use scene mode to activate and deactivate mulitple fx at once. I would probably get an M9 if I ever get another M series, but both are great. You can definitely find one pretty cheap in the emporium and if you dont like it, you can sell it for basically what you paid for it.

11. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

the octave fuzz and the frequency analyzer(the other ring mod effect in it) are awesome. I also like comet trails for a cool chorus effect

12. wesc

wesc Member

Each column of switches is one sound, so you cant have two fx in the same column active. If you click a switch above or below one that is currently on, it will turn of that one and switch on the upper one. Think of it like having 4 pedals that can each have 3 presets (for the M13).

13. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

Another M9 user here. I think the drives sound good depending on if you're boosting a gritty amp or if the amp is clean. I think it sounds better with the prior. I'm digging the boost comp which is supposed to be an mxr micro amp inspired drive. I've played it out a few times and I can't complain. I like the looper too. Right now all I'm using is the M9 and boss ps-6 on the board

14. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

I've been using the M13 since it first was released. It pretty much IS my pedalboard now, aside from a couple of external pedals. You might be able to get by with the M9 if you only need a couple effects at a time, but you might find it a bit restrictive. According to Line6, it was designed to be an addition to your pedalboard. The M13 was intended to BE a pedalboard.

I don't use the M13 dirt models. I run the M13 into the loop of my amp and use the amps gain channel and/or the clean channel combined with a Timmy for overdrive sounds. The M13 dirt isn't bad - I just like my amp and Timmy better. The Line 6 distortion models sound good, but are a bit lacking in the dynamics and subtle "feel" qualities of a good analog pedal.

15. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Thanks... For that one "sound", what is it? A dedicated type of effect? or a complete effect chain? Can i get a distorted tone with chorus, reverb and delay all in one patch, and set another patch to sound completely different with layers of effects like a normal multi efx?

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I had an M-13. Some things it did really well, others not as much.

I liked the distortion, chorus and delays as well as a few of the oddball effects like the Seeker (based on the Seek Wah), talk box and gonkulator.

Other effects, particularly the rotary stuff and uni-vibe were pretty disappointing. Wah was okay, but not as good as the real thing.

Mine lasted a little over a year before it started turning itself on and off every few minutes. Line 6 repaired it, but I was having trouble with other Line 6 gear that made me distrust the brand as a whole, so I sold it. Overall though, it was decent. I'm using a Digitech RP1000 now, and it does most things as well or better than the M13, but the M13 did a few things the RP1000 doesn't that I miss.

17. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I don't think the M9 is meant to replace your whole pedalboard, just the Mod/Verb/Delay section. The drives are OK in a pinch (I keep a scene stored with drives that closely mimic my analog drives in case of emergency) but I haven't used them live ever. Modulation, Reverb and Delays are all really great and sit in the live mix better than the more expensive stuff IMHO.

18. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

+1 ... I just wish they'd come out with a dedicated power supply to power my m9, m5, space, and dirt at the same time :bitch

19. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Cioks might make something. I've never looked because I really don't want something called the "***** Power" on or under my board...

20. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I've read that the TC Nova system has an analog drive. Has anyone compared that with the M9 or M13?