Revised Technique Video: Please Critique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rich2k4, Feb 2, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

this is a revision of the "is my vibrato really bad?" thread. decided to do another video. this time with no backing track, just me hacking away at the guitar.

i'd like to get some critiques

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxBfDivXXE

2. rich2k4

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Good feel, nice articulation at times.

What I really like to hear is an original voice.

Respectfully, what I hear is a patchwork of
    classic well used licks. That's not original.
    Find your voice.
    You got the feel.

Do you play out??

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

It's ok.......but you could stand to listen to some soulful players....

....like Jimmie Vaughn, for instance.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

You f*cker, you beat me to it.....

6. rich2k4

wow, just wow.

i understand you guys are upset because my opinion of someone's tone is different then yours.

however i'd expect those feelings to stay in that thread and not leak outside.

i'd also expect you guys to act more mature.

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

You want to talk smack about the big boys, I imagine you're man enough to TAKE it like the big boys, no? If you think anyone cares that your OPINION is different, you aren't seeing how you come across at all, my man. It's about the tone of extreme disrespect and dismissiveness about ANY artist who's out there DOING it.........but you expect to be treated honorably? Come on.

.......and to be honest, I mean exactly what I said, no insult, as a critique. Your playing, IMO, could use a dose of individuality.......slow down, milk the note, mean it.

All qualities that many of us value in JLV, coincidently.

All things I work on daily, as well.

8. rich2k4

while i can take at least something useful from your post, (individuality, slowing down, etc, the majority of your post seems like a hostile reaction.

I did enjoy a lot of other videos people have posted with jimmy vaughan in that thread. The video i posted, nope. I'm sorry I offended you

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Again.......no one cares that you don't like JLV.....so what, right? It's all just opinions.

But imagine if I took your video, and posted on a public forum under the heading "Worst Playing EVER!!!!"........then proceeded to laugh at and trash you inside.

Wouldn't feel too nice, would it?

Of course not....for you OR me. I would NEVER do something like that....and you wouldn't deserve it.

Just because they're famous doesn't mean they deserve your contempt. I've learned, the more I do this music thing, the way I speak of others in my field says much about ME............and very little about them.

Good luck on your journey.

- jim

10. sanders4617

sanders4617 Supporting Member

I just want to note that while I have a Jimmie Vaughan Strat.. I am not crazy about his playing. :-/ Sue me.

11. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Huh? Did I miss a Jimmy Vaughn bashing thread?

12. cram

cram Member

I'll be constructive and actually offer something to your OP.

My critique or thought while watching this vid - I haven't seen your other video, but if you did have a beat going on behind you I think your question of how your vibrato or your playing in general sounds would be easier to understand.

Most players can noodle for ever and sound great. When they're paired with time it doesn't sound as natural to them. I don't know if this is the case with you as this vid sounds good enough and has some pleasing parts to it.

This [working with time all the time] is something I started working on a few years back when I wasn't playing with people and it helped a great deal. You likely are as well.

Another thought as I see you go through some chord changes: how about concentrating on those changes while you play without the chords. Think about the notes of the chords as they change and play notes/phrasing that leads the audience into where you are in a tune.

keep on pickin. sounds great.

13. DrSax

DrSax Member

I was going to say the same thing re: a metronome. The true test, IMHO, with alot of "judge this and that" of my playing has to be framed with that ole time clicker going. Noodling is one thing, but executing it in time is really where it's at. Play a simple tune with a metronome on and use some vibrato. I bet you feel alot differently playing it than in this clip.