Revisited a gem from the 90's....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zorak, Feb 27, 2012.

1. zorak

zorak Member

Angel Dust by Faith No More. Such a killer album and a band at their creative peak. It's obvious a lot of bands were influenced by FNM, but I forgot how this album seemed by Xeroxed by so many.
    And it still holds up, production-wise and the overall sound is fantastic. Just creams most of today's stuff, IMHO.

2. zorak

zorak Member

Ha! Looks like I was beaten to the punch - another thread on FNM. Let the 90's rule again!!!

3. Ben R

Ben R Member

Good LORD, No...

Sorry, but we're all out of Mesa Rectos and Paul Reed Smith guitars.

:hide

4. B Money

B Money Member

naw, the Recto/PRS cliche' really started in the mid-late 90s. Early-mid 90s had tones of great guitar sounds. Hell, I even dug a lot of the ultra-low tuned metal bands sporting recto when they first came out. It was a fresh sound back then, since recycled so many times its become unfairly pinned on all 90s bands.

5. taez555

taez555 Member

[​IMG]

I love the fact that at Amazon, out of 256 reviews, the average, let me say this again.... the AVERAGE review is a full 5 stars.

What a killer album. :)

6. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I think they really originated that rapping metal style that came along a few years later with bands like 311, Limp Bizkit, and even Kid Rock.

7. Empty Clank

Empty Clank Member

Take it from our drummer, Fluff:
    Being good - it gets you stuff.

Killer band. Just watched their Live from Brixton Academy DVD three days ago.

8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Great band. Big fan all the way back to the Chuck Mosley era, but I must say that that did not prepare me for the greatness of Mike Patton.

9. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Desert island disc, for sure. Possibly #1 of all time. Andy Wallace's production on that one is possibly his best work ever, and he's done a lot of great albums.

I guess Jim Martin was already on the outs by the time they recorded this, but I still think his work is great on it. He was the first guy I was aware of using a Mesa Rectifier. He used a Gibson V live, but I heard somewhere that he used LP's in the studio. Not sure though. Mike Patton is a crazy mofo. He didn't do drugs, but deprived himself of sleep for a week before recording.

10. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

Great album. Listed to FNM a lot in college.

Went and saw Mike's other band Mr. Bungle sometime in 1999 I think. Very different but very cool band. My future wife went with me to that show and I am surprised she married me after seeing what kind of music I was into at the time.

My college roommate got Mike's solo album - what a bunch of crap, just strange noises, you almost have to hear it to believe it.

11. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

I don't know if I agree, because they were not really a rap metal band. Very tight musicians and Mike's voice was more lounge singer on steroids for lack of a better word. Besides that one song that was really popluar in the mid 90's not much else was like that.

I don't think any of those bands sound anything like FNM.

12. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ total agree re : Jim Martin. I always felt that he was an essential part of this band. They weren't the same after he split.

"Angel Dust" is among my favorite LPs and is one of those amazing instances, like Bjork's "Homogenic" or Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul," of avant-garde music being successfully marketed to the public as pop.

13. Hot Rats

Hot Rats Member

I agree, desert island disc for sure. Saw them on this tour with Helmet. Friggin' great.

14. monty

monty Member

Damn, that sounds like a great bill.