Revisiting Johnny Winter

Discussion in 'Artist Spotlight' started by Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain, May 20, 2020.

1. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

This covid-19 debacle has benefited me in some respects .. I got to spend more time with music .. Noodling .. Fleshing out songs .. Recording ideas .. And .. Listening .. New stuff .. Old stuff .. artists that left an impression upon me in my younger days .. so I decided to revisit some of these artists .. Most recently, Johnny Winter ... Man i just love his sound .. And that incredible fluidity ... That speed .. That quick acceleration .. 0-60 .. All the while .. Very articulate .. All his notes are heard .. Never lost .. Or muddy .. wow .. I dig the way he bends .. Skips strings .. And .. Dear God! .. What phrasing ... I just thought I'd see what the community feels regarding this dear departed Blues Legend

Although this cut is indicative of the more commercial side of Johnny .. I find myself just loving this:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    chumbucket and eclecticsynergy like this.
  2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Story was there was a follow up record to Winter of '88 that was never released.

3. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I wore the grooves off of the Captured Live Album!
    The entire band on that record is incredible! Including the other guitar play ( Floyd Radford ) Johnny lets Floyd ham it up on this one.
    I got to see Him once.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

He was freakin' AMAZING live .. Man .. Talk about someone having chops

5. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Hmmm .. never heard that but I hope you are right .. I sure wouldn't mind hearing a little bit more Johnny Winter

6. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Last 15 years or so before he passed, he released a fair amount of live stuff on his own. The Sony Legacy CD reissue of Second Winter came with a bonus early live in England recording of a tour including Edgar and an early version of Frankenstein.Plenty of live stuff on YouTube.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I was 14 years old and didn't have any older siblings to steer me toward "the good stuff" A good friends older brother turned us on to this in late 1971. I was hooked!
    [​IMG]

Two years later, after a stint in rehab, came "Still Alive & Well. His best playing and singing, ever, far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

8. Tunesketcher

Tunesketcher Member

This one! Yes, Randy Jo Hobbs (Bass) and Floyd Radford (Gtr) keeping the pace and going toe to toe with JW..

chumbucket likes this.
  9. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Ty .. Heard it but .. Definitely worth a return visit

10. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

I turned a student on to him yesterday .. Cold start .. But he"s 14 .. it's new to him but he gave it a fair shot and the more he listened the more he noticed how quick JW is and how he is simple yet precise, inarticulate, and tasteful .. I won't be too hard on him .. I'll just let him listen to more Johnny Winter .. he covered a lot of ground in a day .. From indifference to appreciation ..

11. es137p

es137p Member

I saw him in 1978 at a famous little Long Island club called My Fathers Place, amazing.

12. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I saw Brand X at My Father's place in '77. Great show, except my date ditched me and left with another guy. Nobody would pick up a longhaired hitcher on the L.I.E. in the middle of the night and I wound up walking home to New Jersey. In a pair of Frye boots. Arrived home after dawn with a good set of blisters.

13. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I've loved Johnny Winter's blues since the 70s. I played Second Winter and the Johnny Winter And live album until they were worn so deeply they were practically transparent.

Saw him a bunch of times and he never failed to deliver. When I saw him at Madison Square Garden the show was so loud that my ears rang for days. Ever since then I've worn ear protection for all my gigs and rehearsals and any time I've gone to shows. Every time, except when I was engineering in the studio. Despite that I have some hearing loss after 45 years as a pro musician.

A schoolmate of mine, Doug Brockie, was in Johnny's touring band for a while.

14. Badstrat

Badstrat Silver Supporting Member

The Lead Singer/ Guitarist in my first real band put me onto Johnny Winter along with other greats. I’ve always dreamed of having a blues rock band doing all that but really there’s not much of a market for a band covering obscure blues rock where I live. I have the Johnny Winter And live album and what a thrill it would have been to see those concerts. Rick Derringer slays it.

15. Buduranus2

Buduranus2 Member

Oh man, where to begin? The Progressive Blues Experiment? Can't beat it. I saw him a number of times over the years: Capitol Theater in Port Chester NY, Winterland in SF, "Day on the Green" in Oakland CA and House of Blues in Hollywood.

One memorable performance was at the Berkeley Community Theater where Edgar Winter was the opening act for Yes. This was the Frankenstein band with Ronnie Montrose on guitar. Everybody was expecting White Trash and when Edgar came out in a purple velvet cape and hollered "Are you ready to rock 'n' roll?" everybody kinda went "meh." So he launches into an incredible set and towards the end says, "NOW are you ready to rock 'n' roll?" Everybody went ape-sh*t. "All right, then, here's muh brother!" and out strolls Johnny just destroying the building. Unreal. Yes didn't/wouldn't come out for the better part of an hour, and when they did Jon Anderson looked like he'd just seen a ghost. We walked out after about three tunes.

A few years later we went to one of Bill Graham's legendary Day on the Green concerts at the Oakland Coliseum stadium. They were great shows, with maybe 6-8 big name acts on the bill. Well, a few acts in Skynyrd comes out and does their thing. Johnny came out next with just a bassist and drummer and mopped the floor with them. Lord have mercy, not even close. And his band sounded twice as full with half as many people.

Fast forward to the early 2000s. We saw him at House of Blues in Hollywood. Beautiful tour bus parked by the entrance. Come showtime the MC announced him and here comes an impossibly frail Johnny Winter with a tiny Erlewine Lazer being led by his elbow to his spot on the stage. His trademark Firebird was probably too big for him at that point. After the show I remarked "Well, he must've had a lot of fun gettin' like that."

I'd like to close with his incredible performance of Highway 61 at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary show at Madison Square Garden. God bless Johnny Winter!

eclecticsynergy likes this.