Revisiting the Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cber1517, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

While waiting on the Timmy pedal to come in the next couple of months, I decided yesterday to pull out the Bad Monkey which has sat unused since I got the Barber Direct Drive and Tone Press pedals, both of which are great. I retired the Bad Monkey because the DD killed it on the gain side with more articulation and dynamic response. What I have not really done is try the Bad Monkey as a clean boost only, no real reason why except perhaps laziness. Anyway, I put it last in line after the DD and TP and turned the gain all the way off with the level at noon and the bass and treble dimed. Wow!! :dude

I am really finding it useful in thickening up the single coil mode on my Seymour Duncan Hot and Cool Rails pickups. This is exactly what I needed to remedy the slight output loss from humbucking to single coil mode. This is probably the case with a lot of coil-tappable pickups. I love the tones in both modes but wanted more beefiness in the neck and 2nd position single coil mode. Now I have it until the Timmy arrives! I will keep the Bad Monkey as a backup as it has suprised me all over again.:AOK

2. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I did the same thing this week! Bad Monkey is back on the board for my Strat. I normally play my Les Paul or Ibanez and got sick of the single-coil volume drop and stopped playing my Strat. Funny how we did pretty much the same thing.

I just sold my DD for an OCD v3. I also have a Tone Press and Chorus Factory :)

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I find the OCD v3 takes the Bad Monkey very well. I run gain near zero and volume up and really boosts the BM nicely.

4. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I used to run a Bad Monkey after my Barber Small Fry as a clean lead boost, and it sounded great. Since then, I've tried some much more expensive pedals in that slot, none of them sound as good with the Small Fry.

5. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Before my gear overhaul, I was running G&L Legacy > Bad Monkey > red J&H > Peavey Classic 30. I ran the Bad Monkey with gain at zero and bass/treble controls around 1 o'clock. It made everything sound so much better that I normally left it on all the time. I'm not using it now, but it's going on my backup/jam board. Great pedal!

6. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Yep, that's the only way I like the BM - with the level cranked and the gain for volume.

7. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I revisited it the other day as well, and pulled it right back off the board for the same reasons I quit using it before: the bypassed tone. The amp out is thin, and cuts the bass significantly. The mixer out's speaker and amp emulation colors my amp's tone too much. It's a shame that the bypass is so shoddy, because when the thing is switched on it's a real winner.

And no, I'm not going to consider a loop for it. 2 pedals to make 1 cheap pedal work properly? I'm not interested.

D

8. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I still love the BM for jackin my fenders up...Great match.

9. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Luckily, I have an extra loop on my Loop-Master for the Bad Monkey. All happy now!

10. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Yeah... I thought I'd give it another shot but it just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I'd like to find a nice clean boost to use with my Budda on the Drive channel and my R9 (just want to boost the volume, not the distortion).