Revisiting the forgotten Lovepedal Eternity

1973Marshall

Remembering back in the 00's when the Eternity was the "must have" pedal of the day it's amazing how the Eternity is rarely talked about these days. There's been a handful popping up online lately and the prices are all over the map but certainly lower than they were way back when it was very hot. Seeing a steal on an Eternity Burst I picked it up.

What an impressive pedal. It's the mods some might want on a Tubescreamer such as controlled mids, warmer low end, more gain, retaining clarity highs, stacks well, volume and touch sensitive, less of that "transparent" separation on notes and something that plays nice with Marshalls and a bevy of other amps.

Not sure if confusion over the 1000 circuit types or the company's changes affected popularity but at these current prices it's been a cool pedal to revisit.

Last edited:

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I have one of the brown Roadhouse Eternity pedals that I got new in 2006. It can be a little warm and compressed with certain setups but I’ve never played another pedal like it. Certainly no TS pedals.

For me, it’s really great with an amp that’s overdriving a little and a guitar with lower output pickups.

I still like Lovepedal but he was making some really magical creations back in the early days. COT50 was the other one for me. Karl, too.

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t think anything could top my Eternity Burst...until I got my hands on a hand-wired Roadhouse. The note clarity when playing chords is outstanding. It’s not as fat as the Burst, but it is all around more useful in my setup. They’re both really special, but the Roadhouse is something else.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have an early handwired Roadhouse, and also had an early Burst version. The Roadhouse just had something special about it that the Burst, although also a great pedal, didn't have - there is just something about the feel and the clarity of the RH that I preferred. Still is a great sounding and feeling pedal and I'll never get rid of it.

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
I've still got 2 Eternitys, a 2007 Roadhouse and a 2011/12-ish Burning Rain version. At one point I had one of nearly every version Sean ever made. There were 8 in total at that time. I went Lovepedal crazy about 13 years ago and bought ANYTHING they put out for years. I even forked out $350 for one of the first batch of the Mk12 Chromebenders. I finally whittled it down from 42 different LPs to about 10 now. Not many newer ones but I do love the Vintage Modern quite a bit.

TD Moyer

Silver Supporting Member
Been through quite a few handwired Burst and Roadhouse Es over the years but the Burst that's my #1 has been around longer than any other overdrive...wait, other than an old Fulldrive '69, longer than ANY other pedal period. Magical.

Liquid_Mojo

Silver Supporting Member
Still have an 06 Burst and an original HW White Eternity. Both of those pedals are pretty magical. The white sounds HUGE! Had a HW Roadhouse but sold it. Solid pedal, but I preferred my Burst more.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
They're great pedals. He's a marketing genius with the 1,000 different variations of each of his pedals. I've had a couple. My favorite is the old white HW one but it stopped working and the guy I take my pedals to (my amp tech) says he can't fix it because of the goop.

Douglas858

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a 06 white one with brown knobs and a blue light. I love it on its own but sounds brighter on the board. Any fix to this? I assume it’s best next to a certain type of pedals or it’s a buffer issue. It’s by no means sounds bad on the board, it just slays when it’s on it’s own.

andy474x

I picked up a 06 white one with brown knobs and a blue light. I love it on its own but sounds brighter on the board. Any fix to this? I assume it’s best next to a certain type of pedals or it’s a buffer issue. It’s by no means sounds bad on the board, it just slays when it’s on it’s own.
Sounds like the “Fuse” version. I had one for a while, and yeah, it reacts differently based on buffers around it. What exactly, I can’t recall, but it had something to do with it not buffering the signal even when engaged, and then if there was a buffer in a pedal after it (or before it?) it had a different tone.

I got frustrated and sold mine because there was no mention of how to manage this in the literature that came with it, nor anything on the website, despite this apparently being an intentional part of the design, and I thought that was pretty lame. There was also no indication of what the three modes on the toggle were, and they didn’t jump out at me as being obvious in what they were supposed to do, probably didn’t help that the whole pedal reacted differently alone vs on a board.

I think the Fuse was a PCB based version of the Eternity, so if it sounded vastly different than the hand wired ones, I don’t know. I’ve heard good things about other Lovepedal effects, but their user manuals continue to have little real info, and I don’t want any weird surprises again.

Don’t get me wrong though, it did have some shining attributes... the breakup character was smooth as a baby’s bottom. If I could’ve controlled the response in the high end more predictably, I would probably still have it!

Douglas858

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like the “Fuse” version. I had one for a while, and yeah, it reacts differently based on buffers around it. What exactly, I can’t recall, but it had something to do with it not buffering the signal even when engaged, and then if there was a buffer in a pedal after it (or before it?) it had a different tone.

I got frustrated and sold mine because there was no mention of how to manage this in the literature that came with it, nor anything on the website, despite this apparently being an intentional part of the design, and I thought that was pretty lame. There was also no indication of what the three modes on the toggle were, and they didn’t jump out at me as being obvious in what they were supposed to do, probably didn’t help that the whole pedal reacted differently alone vs on a board.

I think the Fuse was a PCB based version of the Eternity, so if it sounded vastly different than the hand wired ones, I don’t know. I’ve heard good things about other Lovepedal effects, but their user manuals continue to have little real info, and I don’t want any weird surprises again.

Don’t get me wrong though, it did have some shining attributes... the breakup character was smooth as a baby’s bottom. If I could’ve controlled the response in the high end more predictably, I would probably still have it!
Thanks for the detailed response. Mine is definitely hand-wired and again not a world of difference but it's slight.

Ardour

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the detailed response. Mine is definitely hand-wired and again not a world of difference but it's slight.

This sucker is gold, I found one too. I’ve had 3 original handwired burst and the reissued handwired roadhouse from several years ago. All were sold when I found this.

Try it isolated in a looper to solve the thing you mentioned. Worked for me.

I’ll never sell this one.

ps - cool duck :cool:

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
They're great pedals. He's a marketing genius with the 1,000 different variations of each of his pedals. I've had a couple. My favorite is the old white HW one but it stopped working and the guy I take my pedals to (my amp tech) says he can't fix it because of the goop.
Not an eternity, but I first bought from Sean on the original FAB 50 (fab tones for 50 bones) and it stopped working after a while. My tech ungooped it, found the failed component and replaced it. It still sounds better to me, although noisier, than the COT50 burst I got some years later.

As long as it's not working you may want to try removing the goop. It could still be fixed.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Not an eternity, but I first bought from Sean on the original FAB 50 (fab tones for 50 bones) and it stopped working after a while. My tech ungooped it, found the failed component and replaced it. It still sounds better to me, although noisier, than the COT50 burst I got some years later.

As long as it's not working you may want to try removing the goop. It could still be fixed.
Anything you can point me to in terms of goop removal techniques?

Trending Topics