revisiting the past...BJF Baby Blue OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

so there I was cruising around ebay Germany when I happened on a BBOD and just for grins I put a bid in and went to sleep...when I woke it was mine:eek:

this is my 3rd one and I'm not sure why I got it but something compelled me to check this out one more time...I sold it because it just didn't blend with my style and rig at that time...I tend to like more articulation...I still have the same amp but different speakers...different guitars and different cables...

I am currently using an MO'D as my bread and butter goto dirt box...

from anyone that still has one what can I expect from the BBOD this time around?

what's your setup and why has it stuck around?

Chow,
    Seegs

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

I saw that auction a few days ago. I think it went for a good price, congrats! Would have loved to bid on it but have that territory covered so I was able to control my gas. Unfortunately I cannot answer any of your questions so this is just kind of bump in your favour.
    :BEER
    Have fun with the BB OD!

3. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

ooh! Buying the same pedal again seems scary. I've always hoped I will one day find peace in knowing... no, I've tried that, don't need it - and finally be cured from pedaldreaming. /C

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx for the bump Rabbit...no such luck Carl...I'm afraid this is an ongoing process:drool especailly since I've changed some things in my setup...

I'm on my 2nd BJF Pine Green comp...my 2nd Klon and now my 3rd BBOD...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Love mine - my Mighty Blue that is - two channel Baby Blue:

[​IMG]

I use one channel stand alone for a fat, Fat, FAT and smooth lead tone. I use the other channel stand alone as a warm clean boost with just a bit of break up to it. I also stack it into my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive for a fat, yet articulate distortion that can peal the paint off of the walls!

6. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Yep, a very distinctive pedal. Il allows me to dial a smooth and creamy lead tone on a sparkly clean Fender amp. It's like having 2 different amps at my disposal. I use a Fulldrive OD type for more traditional grint.

Mine has a problem though, sometimes when I switch on, ther'e no more signal... Not a gig friendly feature. So I keep it for the weekly jam, where I don't care to miss the 2 first measures of the solo :horse

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx guys...it was my first BJF pedal and I was expecting transparent and it wasn't and I was dissapointed...I traded it for a DynaRed which worked better with my setup and more to my liking at that time...

it'll be nice to check it out again and see if my tastes have changed...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

So, I'm in the lead with having had 4?

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

ok it came today and I was expecting to give it a whirl and flip it...fat chance this thing...at least for today is killin and has got my MO'D nervous for the first time...;)

one question where is unity on the volumn control...I seem to have to crank it to about 1 OC with the gain at about 10OC...not much volumn on tap...is this correct?

It sounds totally sweet on the top end even with the treble cranked and it has lots of liquid sustain that is just articulate enough...goes into this early feedback even at low volumn with the PGC kicked in...very cool...

edit...the above was done with my 335 which it seems perfectly suited for...with my single coil guitars it was almost too bright...

anyone else feel that way? Kills with hums and not as nice with single coils?

I gotta stay off of ebay and out of the emporium:D!

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I had the same experience with mine. Found it great with buckers but didn't play well with singles...not a huge problem being a buckers snob mostly. The only reason i sold mine was that i found it didn't play well with others. A bit of a problem child that only liked to play on it's own...didn't stack well at all. However, it would be my choice as a Desert Island pedal without a 2nd thought... ;)

11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I thought it rocked with singles.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

sadly I agree...it's kinda my conclusion as well...really really cool with hums and with the PGC pushin it but the MO'D just kills with everything and is more versatle to boot...I am just way more expressive with the MO'D...I shot them both out together and by going back n forth I can better understand why everyone really digs this pedal...but its limitations will force me to dump it...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. gregory49

gregory49 Member

so your selling it?

14. Stressfest

Hahaha...i was waiting for someone to ask ;)

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

most likely...I have to let the guys from the Euro Tone Fest this coming weekend hear it first...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Stressfest

I think anyone would be hard pressed to top the M'OD as a good all rounder :D Fun to try though...

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

it does appear that way although I will never stop trying....next victums...Screwdriver and Tubeless OD:D

Chow,
    Seegs

18. Stressfest

Have you found a Screwdriver yet? Or still on the hunt? And what's the Tubeless OD and why haven't i got one yet?? lol

19. Seegs

Seegs Member