Revox A77

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rdba, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rdba

rdba Member

Hey folks i saw a Revox in a secondhand-like store...
    is this thing good for recording in the studio`??

2. buchla300

buchla300 Member

For mixdown, it's not going to be as good as say a later model, but it's a good machine. I have one for listening to tapes and stuff, but it's a decent quality hifi unit rather than a studio piece.

It's a decent thing to have lying around and they make nice tape echo units!

It also depends which version. The slower speed ones won't have the frequency response of the faster ones. (1 7/8 ips being the slowest and 15 ips being the fastest) You really need the 7 1/2 ips version for a full frequency response.

And then it should be cheap. They really aren't worth too much

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The 15 ips A77 was, in my opinion, an excellent stereo deck. I knew people who recorded live albums on them in the 70s and the fidelity was superb. Of course, now you're talking about a 30+ year old machine, so a lot would depend on how well it was maintained.

I still have a 7.5 ips A77 in storage somewhere. That was their "pro-sumer" model.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Used extensively by Jean Paul Jarre on Oxygene, he had a pair. And I remember seeing Brian Eno with a pair in the 70s on stage when he was with Roxy Music.

Not sure about this, but I think these were an integral part of Frippertronics.

Not to be confused with FLIPPERtronics, which as we all know, was for recording talented dolphins.

5. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

I used two Revox decks (15 ips and one with vari-speed control) to record this track when I was 17 years old. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=393507

On post #21 of the link there is a photo of the two Revoxs. I loved the revox and learn,t to play guitar with it.