revv d20...

fts06

Anyone have this amp? Are you happy with the clean tone?

I'm thinking about getting this to be my main home studio direct recording amp. I can also buy a Princeton Reverb 68 + Suhr reactive Load/torpedo captor. Or maybe a Kemper.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

No, but I have played the D20 and while its useful and feature loaded, its not going to sound like a Fender amp and Suhrs IR is absolutely incredible.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! Do you have experience with this kind of a setup?
just for future reference I have experience with both...and I’d recommend the Revv. While the Suhr RLIR is a cool piece of kit it has its limitations...namely needing to find the IR’s you love which can be an expensive and time consuming venture. The Two Notes software allows you to audition cans, mic’s and rooms (reverbs) in real time to dial in exactly what your ears want to hear.

furthermore the amp sounds are great and while not a “Princeton” they’re on par quality wise.

Husky

the RLIR comes with 16 custom IRs by Celestion, most people don't feel the need to look further. It's not expensive at all plus the Impedance curve is not a generic U curve.
just for future reference I have experience with both...and I’d recommend the Revv. While the Suhr RLIR is a cool piece of kit it has its limitations...namely needing to find the IR’s you love which can be an expensive and time consuming venture. The Two Notes software allows you to audition cans, mic’s and rooms (reverbs) in real time to dial in exactly what your ears want to hear.

furthermore the amp sounds are great and while not a “Princeton” they’re on par quality wise.

DeadLazy

I have a Kemper and use a Torpedo Captor with all my amps.

Whenever possible I prefer the Torpedo as long as you have a DAW to go into.

I have a MacBook Air and use the Torpedo Wall of sound plug in.

Plenty of IR to choose from out of the box. Different microphones and cabs and the ability to make lots of adjustments.

It’s a lot fun and very useful.

I love my amps already, and the Torpedo and Kemper preserve and expand them.

I demo’ed a Rev 20 and it didn’t jive with me but it’s not a bad amp.

I vote stick with an amp you love and a Torpedo.

I will take an amp when I can but for live the Kemper is the most practical and it saves time and money.

I’ll always prefer an amp into a cab, though. With a proper mic.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
the RLIR comes with 16 custom IRs by Celestion, most people don't feel the need to look further. It's not expensive at all plus the Impedance curve is not a generic U curve.
There's no bias or misinformation in my comment. I've done the comparisons. I stand behind my take on the products and suggest folks try them and decide for themselves.

As a matter of correction, I didn't say the RLIR was expensive. I said finding your best IR's can be. It's got to be equally true that some keep the 16 provided AND some end up down a rabbit hole buying and trying IR's. How do I know? I talk to people...and there's a BIG (and growing) market for IR's right now. Products follow money.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
I saw a review by Henning Pauly where he and a guy from Revv were demonstrating the D20 and they talked about how Henning had been given one to review initially and he complained that there wasn't enough headroom and that resulted in Revv making improvements to the amp.

During the review I watched, his second time to review the amp, he was pleased with the changes Revv made to the amp.

What I'd like to know is are there more than one version out there in the market? And if so how can you tell which version is the improved model?

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
If you want to hear the Revv D20 and G20 in action, check out videos by Shawn Tubbs and Rabea.
I have both amps... and like them a lot.
The embedded Torpedo works extremely well.
Liked the embedded Torpedo so much... I got a pair of Captor X boxes (more features).

The Suhr Reactive Load IR is also a great piece of gear.

oneblackened

The D20 is actually a great little crunchbox if you get it cooking. Loves a tubescreamer style boost out front. Though, to be honest... I'm not crazy about the Two Notes impedance curve. It's very dark and midrangey compared to my Suhr Reactive Load.

The G20 I personally was not nuts on but I also don't like super compressed super tight high gain.

Last edited:

Husky

"it has its limitations...namely needing to find the IR’s you love which can be an expensive and time consuming venture"

No harm no problem, but this comment made it sound like you have to find IRs as if there are none included "a need", I wanted to make sure people understood it comes with 16 special custom IRs.

the rabbit hole of looking at IRs comes with any device

There's no bias or misinformation in my comment. I've done the comparisons. I stand behind my take on the products and suggest folks try them and decide for themselves.

As a matter of correction, I didn't say the RLIR was expensive. I said finding your best IR's can be. It's got to be equally true that some keep the 16 provided AND some end up down a rabbit hole buying and trying IR's. How do I know? I talk to people...and there's a BIG (and growing) market for IR's right now. Products follow money.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I saw a review by Henning Pauly where he and a guy from Revv were demonstrating the D20 and they talked about how Henning had been given one to review initially and he complained that there wasn't enough headroom and that resulted in Revv making improvements to the amp.

During the review I watched, his second time to review the amp, he was pleased with the changes Revv made to the amp.

What I'd like to know is are there more than one version out there in the market? And if so how can you tell which version is the improved model?
No there's only one version on the market. The one Henning reviewed is the same as the one Shawn Tubbs reviewed - they were "pre production" models. Go back and check Shawn's review - some of the Torpedo functions aren't ready on his model. The changes Henning suggest were made before the amp went to mass production.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
The G20 I personally was not nuts on but I also don't like super compressed super tight high gain.
I'm into "modded Marshall" gain territory...
With Aggression mode off, the G20 is capable of more classic type distortion.
Shawn Tubbs has a demo of the G20 using it for more classic tones.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
A BE-OD Deluxe into the D20 works well.
I like the D20 breaking up just a bit (slightly dirty clean).
Blue channel on the BE-OD Deluxe set to Plexi/JCM crunch.
Green channel set to slightly higher gain lead tone.

On the BE-OD Deluxe, the lower gain channel is blue and the higher gain channel green. (shrug)

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
If you want to hear the Revv D20 and G20 in action, check out videos by Shawn Tubbs and Rabea.
I have both amps... and like them a lot.
The embedded Torpedo works extremely well.
Liked the embedded Torpedo so much... I got a pair of Captor X boxes (more features).

The Suhr Reactive Load IR is also a great piece of gear.
I watched Shawn Tubbs demo and he did touch on the lower gain of the Red channel of the G20 but not really long or deep enough where I feel like I really know what it will do. So I'm hoping you can steer me toward the best choice.

I have the CaptorX and using it with the Orange Rocker Terror 15 it makes a pretty portable headphone rig. But it could be better if the TwoNotes was built into the Rocker like it is in the Revv D20 and G20 have so I only have one piece of 'amp' gear to carry with a guitar for retreating to a location to get some quiet guitar time in.

So I was going to buy the D20 but that means I need to bring along a pedal for mid to high gain use.
On the other hand, with the G20 I wouldn't need a pedal but can I really get decent cleans since it doesn't have the extra tube/gain control to push it slightly and more important, on the gain channel, can it go low enough in gain to get AC/DC type Plexi gain as well as roll off the guitar volume to get almost completely-clean-without-losing-much-output-volume kind of sounds?

I don't want to go with the G20 thinking I don't need a pedal with it for gain only to lose the pushed kind of cleans and rolled off volume sounds.

And @Two Notes, if you are reading this, please let the Twin Tracker feature be included in the Remote software that Revv hardware uses! Or even sell that as a module to download into Revv remote and WoS like you do with cabinets...

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I watched Shawn Tubbs demo and he did touch on the lower gain of the Red channel of the G20 but not really long or deep enough where I feel like I really know what it will do. So I'm hoping you can steer me toward the best choice.

I have the CaptorX and using it with the Orange Rocker Terror 15 it makes a pretty portable headphone rig. But it could be better if the TwoNotes was built into the Rocker like it is in the Revv D20 and G20 have so I only have one piece of 'amp' gear to carry with a guitar for retreating to a location to get some quiet guitar time in.

So I was going to buy the D20 but that means I need to bring along a pedal for mid to high gain use.
On the other hand, with the G20 I wouldn't need a pedal but can I really get decent cleans since it doesn't have the extra tube/gain control to push it slightly and more important, on the gain channel, can it go low enough in gain to get AC/DC type Plexi gain as well as roll off the guitar volume to get almost completely-clean-without-losing-much-output-volume kind of sounds?

I don't want to go with the G20 thinking I don't need a pedal with it for gain only to lose the pushed kind of cleans and rolled off volume sounds.

And @Two Notes, if you are reading this, please let the Twin Tracker feature be included in the Remote software that Revv hardware uses! Or even sell that as a module to download into Revv remote and WoS like you do with cabinets...
Gosh my dream would be for them to give us two XLR outs from the D20 in a mk2 and the same app function as CaptorX.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
The G20 can do lower-gain crunch tones.
Leave the Aggression mode off.
Gain around noon to 2 o'clock.

G20 cleans sound good... but not going to break-up like the D20.
I like to hit the clean channel with a clean boost.

The embedded Torpedo in the D20/G20 doesn't have some of the feature of the Captor X.
The Reverb in Captor X is more versatile; can be used for short room ambience... or extended reverb tails.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
One thing missing from Captor X (vs the embedded Torpedo in the Revv amps) is power-amp simulation.
I assume this is because Captor X doesn't have line input.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
If you're into Plexi tones, the Marshall Studio Vintage works well with Captor X.
To get into modded Marshall tones, you'll definitely need a boost.

Trending Topics