ReWind PAF clones

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wingwalker, Feb 28, 2015.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Any users here?

Any thoughts?

2. sws1

sws1 Member

A lot of people love them. I never was able to get them to return my messages, so I moved on. Nonetheless, a lot of people like them.

3. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

I have three sets with a fourth on the way. James just moved halfway across the country and I think he's a bit behind in responding to emails. He has a telephone number too and that may be your best bet. I know he's getting close to being 5-7 days out on the wait for a set of pickups. Due to the move, it's a bit higher at this time. Having just moved an entire household (twice) last year, I can relate to the demands it places on a person/family.

I have the following...
    -PAF Low Outputs. I've put this set in two guitars; a chambered Corsa (think Les Paul) and a non-chambered R9 where they sit now until the new pups arrive. They're clear, the neck has a ton of character, warm but has clarity. Middle position is to die for. The bridge is really fantastic. Exceptional growl. Hotter pickups will grind or fizz, these do not. Really great note separation on big chords. Sometimes I feel like I want a bit more attack but I don't notice it as much in the R9 vs. the chambered single cut. The bottom end is very tight on the bridge and very clear. Still has more than enough girth without question. Really sounds great in the R9. Forgot to add, will have a bit of twang depending on your playing style but aren't nearly as bright and funky (to me) as Bareknuckle Mules which were way too bright and I didn't enjoy the pickup voicing. I've also compared them to Wizz A4's and the Rewinds are warmer, not as harsh and don't have the grind of the Wizz A4 pickup set. The Wizz were, IMO, a pretty dramatic improvement over the stock Custom Buckers in the R9 which lacked note separation and were fizzy through medium high gain amps (Think Friedman Browneye). It was pretty obvious the Rewinds were better suited to my R9 as after installing them and playing for a few minutes I thought to myself "that's it".

-JP Pre-72's. Great sustain on these, the neck has a higher ohm reading than the bridge. A bit more scooped, not quite as warm or growly but voiced really well with slightly scooped mids. The notes seem very round, a tad Fender-ish and chords are really thick and full. Fat bottom end and did I say really full, articulate chords? The neck pup can be a bit woodier than the low outputs but they really sing with single notes and are very sweet up top. I have these in a PRS SC-58, non-chambered. I go back and forth between these and the low outputs as my favorite pickups.

-Very Low Output PAF's. These are the odd man out only because I bought them used on a whim and they reside in a semi-hollow so I can't compare directly to the other two. They are the most clear but have that same growl and warmth as the low outputs with a bit more overall detail. I generally like slightly hotter pickups in a semi-hollow but I don't see these coming out any time soon. Again just a really great tone to these.

The fourth set I have coming are again a low output set but he's throwing more winds on the bridge. He's also sending along a few magnets for me to try out so I can try to figure out what I like and want. I sometimes have a hard time with that as I've not experimented with magnets yet. The low output PAF in the R9's neck is just spot on perfect for me but I wanted to experiment with a slightly overwound bridge. If I don't like it, James will make changes as needed. He has great customer service.

I'd like to try the post 72 JP's as well but I'd have to buy another guitar. Sounds like a real dilemma.

Edit: I tend to play low to medium gain amps, mostly classic rock and blues and I typically stick to reverb, delay and sometimes a bit of chorus. I've been known to hit up a Diezel now and again.

4. G Man

G Man Member

I've got a set of his HO PAFs in a Gadow Custom Hollow, I was looking for a great clean pickup that also sounded great with dirt, as well as a great split coil sound. James nailed it on all levels. I also have a True Kalamazoo 57 set in a chambered Hamer Monaco Elite and they are a brilliant pickup as well. Finally, just dropped a pair of his Dynamo mini-hums in a Hamer Eclipse, have not had a chance to even plug them in yet, so I can't say, but based on his other pups, I can't help but expect excellence. I would say James is on the top of the pile of small winders out there today.

jammintree likes this.
  5. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

I've got the JPPost 72 set in my Les Paul. Amazing bridge pickup and a lot of people love the neck pickup in the JP sets (same neck pickup on both sets). I like it, but I'm looking for a certain character so I'm probably going to sell it and contact James for a custom wind or maybe the Low Output neck pickup. Great pickups either way, I had James wind me another pickup a while ago and we exchanged probably 60 emails before we got everything right. James is the man and he's long winded which I love.

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Great insight and info, any other first hand info??

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

I've done business with James aka Cooljuk over at MLP. Really nice guy to deal with. I have bought Crème Brûlée Set and I got a low wound set which I had him redo to something a little better.

You can't go wrong with James.

I hope his move to Colorado was smooth and easy.

8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I've got a True Kalamazoo set and like them. I had to pot them but they are a very vintage sounding humbucker.

9. cherrick

cherrick Member

got a pair of Low-Outputs in a Faux-'57 goldtop. Very nice. Tone-competitive with all the others.

10. Luke Duke

Luke Duke Member

Why did you pot it?

11. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I play loud.

12. Luke Duke

Luke Duke Member

Let me try again....did it squeal? Are you a high gain player. I've had quite a few unpotted pickups over the year but never felt they "had" to be potted for me to survive. Thus my questions.

Luke

13. shaky town

shaky town Member

I ordered a medium output set from James last summer. I did not care for these in my '13 Standard at all. We had a little chat, and decided to exchange for a set of lower wind Creme Brulee - bingo, I love them. I can easily get great clean and overdrive tones with smooth clarity. James was great to deal with, and not much of a wait.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks for the input guys.

I talked with James last night and then placed my order!

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have the JP Pos72's in my Les Paul (which is for sale in the Emporium. Shameless Plugs for $1650, Alex!). They are exceptional, and I would trust James to deliver the goods on any of his PAF winds / variants. His kung-fu is strong. :beer

16. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

His pickups are as good as any and better than a lot.

17. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

First, I am blown away by the service!!!

I ordered late Thursday the 5th and they were at my front door the following Thursday...that's less than 7 full days on a custom set of pickups and a wiring harness!

I tend to hold off a good bit on giving opinions or thoughts on any type of gear until I've had it a decent amount of time and usually have used it on at least a few gigs but....I'm pretty excited after a few hours of play time so I'm going to break my own rules!!!!

I talked with James before ordering and we discussed my rig, the guitar the pickups were for (a 2005 R8) as well as what I wanted to hear differently from the pickups I was using.

After a little discussion James suggested a very low wind on the bridge, we decided on 7.4 and a hotter wind on the neck of 8.2. He suggested long un oriented Alnico 5 magnets for both pickups with a slight coil offset from slug to screw coil and I decided on bobbin colour and his 58 style slightly aged nickel covers.

Now, I will admit it's early and I haven't gigged them yet but I am really knocked out by these pickups!

18. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Fixed it for you...

Pickups landed and I installed them last night. [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    First, I am blown away by the service!!!
    I ordered late night on the 5th and they were at my front door the following Thursday...that's less than 7 full days on a custom set of pickups and a wiring harness! I tend to hold off a good bit on giving opinions or thoughts on any type of gear until I've had it a decent amount of time and usually have used it on at least a few gigs but....I'm pretty excited after a few hours of play time so I'm going to break my own rules!!!!

I talked with James before ordering and we discussed my rig, the guitar the pickups were for (a 2005 R8) as well as what I wanted to hear differently from the pickups I was using. After a little discussion James suggested a very low wind on the bridge, we decided on 7.4 and a hotter wind on the neck of 8.2. He suggested long un oriented Alnico 5 magnets for both pickups with a slight coil offset from slug to screw coil and I decided on bobbin colour and his 58 style slightly aged nickel covers. Now, I will admit it's early and I haven't gigged them yet but I am really knocked out by these pickups!