Rewire my MIM Strat to EJ spec

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Time2play, May 23, 2006.

1. Time2play

Time2play Member

I have a MIM strat and was planning to rewire it to the Eric Johnson spec found in the wiring diagram on Fender's web site. When I printed it out I noticed it had no ground in the diagram. Is this truly how an EJ strat is wired??

check the link... And please respond.. thanks!
    :roll
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Ground is the back of the volume pot, where all the black wires and one leg of the pot go. What they haven't shown is the output wire, going from the middle lug of the vol. pot and ground to the output jack. Also, the tone pots seem to be grounded via the shielding foil on the back of the pickguard (if you don't have that, solder a wire joining the backs of the three pots). Other than that the diagram looks ok and will do what is says on the can (separate tone controls for neck and bridge pu's and no tone control for the middle pu).

3. Time2play

Time2play Member

Thanks! Hopefully this will help some issues I'm having with my bridge pickup humming. Single coil pickups do buzz but it seemed like this strat had extra in the bridge. I'm also replacing the bridge pickup as well.

Andy

4. dazj

dazj Member

I had this pic of mine - hope it helps.

[​IMG]

5. Time2play

Time2play Member

That's an excellent pic of an EJ. OK, here's my final question and then its time to fire up the sodering iron.... Where does the ground that connects the tremelo claw connect to the wiring?????

[​IMG]

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Also to the back of the volume pot.