Rewiring Engl from 230Volt to 120Volt?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Da5Id, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I have an Engl Screamer 50 combo that I bought while living in Europe a few years ago. I would like to have it modded for US voltage. I've tried contacting Engl before regarding a replacement transformer but didn't have any luck with them. I've been using a step up transformer, but may want to sell the amp and assume it would be tough to unload without this mod.

I live in the DC metro area in case anyone can recommend a reliable tech to do the work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Hello Da,

Do you have a schematic for the amp? If so, does it show if the power transformer has the required taps for 120 VAC operation? Contact me to discuss, I am in N. VA. www.guytronix.com :angel

3. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Cool! I'll get in touch with you probably sometime in the coming week. I don't have a schematic btw.

Thanks a lot for the response...

4. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I'm in Germantown btw. Glad to know there's an amp tech around here. I assume that there are several, but none that I know of personally...

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Da,

I'll try looking for one in the mean-time.

The only other option is to replace the transformer if it does not support multiple Primary VAC taps.

6. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Thanks! Replacing the transformer is an option I'm fine with as well. I'll definitely hook up with you.

In the meanwhile, if you have a moment, can you please respond to my post about "cold solder joint". I tried to solder a new speaker in my Carr Mercury this morning. It uses this thick ribbon cable "analysis plus".

I only have a 45 watt iron and had a tough time. Pretty sure I need to resolder with a more powerful iron/gun. I'm just worried in the interim if it's dangerous to the amplifier section if the resistance of the joint is too high.

Steve

7. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Hello Da,

Nice meeting you today. That's a nice CARR that you have. Let me know how it sounds with your new speaker once you 'get-down' with it. :angel

8. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Rich, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me today getting the Carr speaker installed professionally, as well as the time you took to validate the connection with your equipment and recheck the bias. Really great customer service! The amp sounds really amazing. The Scumback really opens up the amp and makes it sound bigger with a broader range of frequency response.

I'm looking forward to getting the Engl back going again once we sort out a solution for the transformer.

Steve.
    :JAM