Rewiring SR speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by OminousPoultry, Feb 14, 2008.

1. OminousPoultry

OminousPoultry Member

I've taken the original speakers out of my SR and am experimenting with 2 Webers & 2 Copperheads. I want to replace the original wiring with something better, what's the best way of getting the 4 speaker wires to connect to the input jack? The original uses a round fibreboard disk - the 4 pos/neg wires come through this and solder to a grommet - as does the input to the amp. The replacement cable is thicker and 4 of these won't fit the disk - and I also want to keep the original loom intact so I can put it back to stock.

So - what's the neatest way to connect the 4 (8 actually) speaker cables to the input jack on the amp? Anyone done this and has pics?

thanks

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Whats the ohm rating of the speakers? There is usually a way to get it so you only have to run two wires to the actual jack, not eight.

3. OminousPoultry

OminousPoultry Member

yes - they are 8ohms each wired in parallel for a 2ohm load. The jack gets 2 wires - the 8 meet the 2 at a fibre connector screwed to the cab. It's the fibre connector that's too small and I'm looking for a neat solution. I know Weber sells replacements disks but they are just the same size as the original.

I could just use block connectors but that wouldn't be ideal.....

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

[​IMG]

That will give you 2 ohms with only two wires going to the jack.

5. OminousPoultry

OminousPoultry Member

great - just what I want. many thanks....