1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

RF noise and whatnot

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rollyfoster, Oct 3, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

My rig normally doesn't have any noise at all, but I've got it plugged in at my apartment right now and there's some RF interference coming through on the gain channels and some pedals. Is this something that could be caused by the electricity or the position of the amp?

2. erksin

erksin Member

Absolutely.

You might try running a power conditioner that filters AC (not one of the cheapo RF/EMI filtering strips or rack units).

3. rollyfoster

do you think it would lean more towards power source or amp location?

4. erksin

erksin Member

Since you're in an apartment, I'm guessing source - but move your stuff and see if it helps any...

5. rollyfoster

i'm not sure what it is. i put my noisiest pedal on battery power and it was worse than when it was plugged in!

6. erksin

erksin Member

Are your guitars fully sheilded/grounded?

7. rollyfoster

yes, this has never been a problem before, even at clubs. maybe it's the pedal...

but it is much worse on my strat.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Are you just plugging straight into the wall, or are you using an RF/EMI protected power strip?

If you're gigging, you should probably invest in a good power conditioner (like the more expensive Furman stuff).

9. rollyfoster

everything's plugged into a power strip designed for computers. the strat is definitelty WAY noisier whether pedals are battery or plugged in. it doesn't buzz or hum by itself, though.

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'm guessing you have a bad patch cable.

11. rollyfoster

i thought about that and ran just the fuzz with my best cables and the problem is still there.

12. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Actually, this came up a few weeks ago. Basically I stated that for AM broadcast (or aircraft band, CB and ham radio too) to be demodulated through your amplifier calls for a non-linear junction of some type. This can happen with plugs and jacks where you have disimilar metals. Its aggravated by dirt and corrosion too. If its coming up your line cord I think you'll find its a lot harder to end up through your speaker than if its coming in via the instrument input. Solid state amplifiers are more guilty than tube as the interference can come in via the speaker leads, make it through the negative feedback circuitry and be amplified. This can be trickier to resolve.

13. rollyfoster

whoa. you just blew my mind...

14. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Sorry, Rolly...

In layman's terms:

- you live near the source of interference
    - dirty/worn instrument jack
    - dirty/worn amplifier jack
    - dirty/worn patch cable(s)
    - bad connection inside your amplif(r)ier