1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

RF Noise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by motis1953, May 22, 2011.

1. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Last night in the club I played I could not use any of three dirt pedals because of unbelieveable noise generated by just clicking any of them on. Today at a different room I could use any of the three at once and even two at a time without this problem. Is there any solution at all for this or am I relegated to playing without dirt boxes at this club, like a real man???

2. motis1953

motis1953 Member

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Member

It could just have been a combo of that night and the building. One time I had just gotten a new dirt pedal and the 1st night I plugged it in I was getting really loud RF interference - it was actually some kind of a german radio show (I don;t live anywhere near germany). I even posted about it here on TGP. I thought I had a bad pedal or something, but people said it could have just been some freak thing, and sure enough it hasn't happened since. Weird.:dunno

4. Lance

Lance Member

Hmm, never heard of pedals doing it before. It's usually pups, or the input of a high gain amp. I would chalk it up to a freak occurrence. If it happens again, maybe try a different cable. Often the cable will act as a small aerial antenna.

5. RBfan

RBfan Member

I get this with my fuzzes - Das Fuzz Ge & Fulltone 70 - but not with any other dirt. Basically if I roll the volume on my strat all the way down I start getting RF. Not always, though, seems to come & go.

T

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Apparently Visual Sound pedals have something built into them where it eliminates any kind of RF Interference. I forget what it was...but some folks here have said to have used Visual Sound pedals and gotten rid of this nuisance. You could pick up a cheapie VS pedal and just never use it for the sake of not having to deal with RF issues.

Otherwise, another option is to have an APC battery backup. Run on your own power and never having to worry about bad electrical wiring from the house. This however, doesn't solve all problems and can be rather expensive......

7. motis1953

motis1953 Member

It happens every time in this venue and this venue only. The dirt pedals are a Hermida Distortion, EQD Dream Crusher, and a Treble booster (Either a Keeley Java Boost or a Dynaranger). All I have to do is step on any one of them and a huge blast of hum becomes present even with the guitar's volume pot all the way down. I've tried lifting the ground on the pedalboard, changing the polarity on the amp, and also two of the pedals (the germanium circuits) are using batteries rather than my power supply. I'm thinking of bringing a long extension cord and running it to a different area of the club.

8. kp8

kp8 Member

I get tons of RF noise with fuzzes in about 20% the venues i play, esp. with fuzz.

9. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Same room last night. Couldn't use Hermida Distortion or Dynaranger but the EQD Dream Crusher was fine (last time it wasn't). Turns out there's a radio tower across the street.

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I'd put my money on the club's wiring or a bad ac/dc power supply.. Is the stage sound on a separate breaker/service? Could be a Beer Cooler,AC, dim able lighting,or ceiling fans..
    Do you own a circuit tester? They cost about $10 at walmart .Just simple plugin and shows if outlet is working as it should.Have you tried unplugging from your amp and plugging in to the other guitarists amp or the bass players amp to see if you still have the problem? If you don't have time to trouble shoot before the gig by process of elimination,then asking here will not solve the problem.Your outlet could be on a dual breaker that shares a circuit with a number of things that could cause your problem..WE always carried our own distro and tied in to the main power where possible.Wish I could have been there to help you find the problem.Best thing to do is like you said,find a pedal that doesn't give you a problem and eliminate the others. Don't think this is RF but I have found everyone describes noise differently.One Man's Hum can be another Man's hiss.I wouldn't be playing around with ground lifts either.Good way to get electrocuted.
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/trouble/genericnoise.php

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  11. motis1953

motis1953 Member

One man's hum could be another man's hiss but this is a radio station and not a particularly good one.

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

13. motis1953

motis1953 Member

My fault for not being more specific. Thanks.