RFI issues

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by stratotone, Feb 17, 2012.

1. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

RFI - radio frequency interference. I'm picking up radio stations when trying to profile amps with my Kemper Profiling amp. I also had the same issue at night with microphones too.

Here's the deal: you run a guitar cable from your guitar into the kemper, then into the amp input. this is one of the connections for profiling. Well, when I do that, I get a local AM radio station, and the more gain/volume on the amp, the louder the station is.

I'm using good guitar cables - Canare GS6 with G&H ends. Do they make a special super shielded cable? This is driving me fugging nuts and pissing me off! The Kemper has a ground lift, but when I do that it makes a HORRIBLE buzzing noise.

2. Lance

Lance Member

Hmm, an interesting gadget. I take it this problem is not there when you don't plug into this Kemper device, and go straight into the amp? I would contact Kemper, and see what they have to say. If it weren't a digital device, you could probably solve this with a different value input resistor, but digital is a different ballgame.

3. muzacman

muzacman Member

May be caused by the Kemper unit itself picking up the RF and then transmitting over the cables. Using good cables won't help. You can try something crazy like wrapping the Kemper amp in aluminum foil and grounding it just to see if it makes a difference. I would take the problem back to the Kemper support group.

4. stratotone

Did a little research and found a 50,000 watt transmitter for that station about 2.5 miles from my house. Ugh.

5. stratotone

Had an idea - going to try my wireless between the Kemper and amp I'm profiling. I never hear the noise when I plug my guitar into the kemper only, so I bet that *crosses fingers* fixes it.

6. Lance

Lance Member

50,000W, yep that'll do it. You can probably sheild your jam room with brass screening. It might work?