RHCP 'Snow (Hey Oh)'...which strat/pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Jul 4, 2007.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I know it's been discussed here before, but IMO, Frusciante's strat tone on that intro riff is just heavenly. Anyone know which strat, pickups, amp, effects he's using? I'm not much of a strat guy, but if I could find one that even comes close, I may become a convert. Now, if only my touch could come close....

2. mattluczy

mattluczy Member

Vintage '62 Strat through a couple different Marshalls... I think a Siver Jubilee and a Plexi of some sort, but I'm sure others can help you more with his amps. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's in the neck pickup position (NOT neck/middle) with no effects, other than ALOT of reverb panned to the left side. A '62 Reissue into pretty much any good tube amp will get you close... I run through a Twin Reverb, and I can nail that tone and song.

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I think you nailed it. I have a 60's CS strat, neck pickup into my D13 FTR 37 clean, a little verb, bingo, nailed that tone. Well, only for about 5 or 6 reps of the 4 bars then my fingers get wiggy.

Tough song to play right, but sounds great when you do!

-Rich

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't use the Marshall's in the studio though... If I remeber correctly then it's a Fender of some sort that he uses in there... That plexi by the way is the 200 watt major.

5. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

He has a few other strats, but he stated in an interview that the '62 ended up being used the most after A/Bing a bunch of them. I've heard that the pups in that strat are Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots, with a custom in the bridge.

Also, his chorus pedal would go to both a Jubilee and the Major, though it's impossible to tell if either or both ended up on the song. He uses a EHX Holy Grail reverb pedal.

I believe the Fender was a bandmaster or showmaster silverface head, but he retired it around the time of By the Way. Watch the AOL sessions for Stadium Arcadium, the Fender is nowhere insight and he has the three half stacks behind him.

6. xroads

xroads Member

anyone watched these videos on youtube, where he gives some guitar lessons by noodling around on a strat?
    The sound quality of the vid is not good, however, his tone is amazingly thick and dense.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=40&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I like his playing style but that's one thin sounding strat, at least here. Do you have a link for the one you saw? On this video, when he uses the bridge pickup it's really thin. But what really surprised me on this video, was him using the neck pickup on Under the Bridge and getting that tone. I thought he was using the neck/mid to get that thin quack, but it's just his neck pickup! Usually a neck pickup gives a deep throaty tone, especially on a vintage strat. I like his playing style but to me, that's one thin sounding strat.

8. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

Ive heard several people play Snow on just a strat-fender amp-neck pickup with just a hint of reverb and it sounds pretty dead on to me.

9. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

62 AV and a Lone Star puts me there:AOK

10. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

I always liked this song, this thread went and made me learn the intro :D. I get kinda close with my Ampeg V-4B and MIJ 54RI. It also sounds really good on the middle position on my V (JB/59).