Rhythm guitar fan??? Groove helps soling too.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tomo, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

I always like to play rhythm guitar. Soloing is popular than rhythm guitar.

When I came to Berklee... so many great players around so I thought I should focus on something what I like and it's good idea to improve my strength.

I think more and more people are interested in working on rhythm guitar playing. I believe that you can improve your solo playing because you prepare chord changes, harmony, form of tune...etc.

I made this clip for my student who was working on this song "The Chicken"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6nNyzbUSLQ

Hope you like it! Enjoy grooving!

Tomo

2. small axe

small axe Member

i prefer rhythm myself as well....

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Nice, Tomo! I have to transcribe some of these grooves you've been posting. Very nice solo guitar performance.

Dave

4. ShaunzNoiz

ShaunzNoiz Member

I was told some years ago when I started playing that strong rhythm players work every night of the week.

It's true!

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

very inspiring, thanks for that! somedays i wish i could go back to school and just learn guitar all day long!

6. Tomo

Tomo Member

Good to hear. Rhythm guitar playing is very deep... groove & space! Enjoy!

Tomo

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks! I have several performance major students so this will be his home work for next semester. Triads, 4 notes, 2 notes... many combination to play over changes. I made this at his lesson. My digital camera. Play once and record it so we can watch it again. Let me know how your transcription goes. Thank you so much! I really enjoy teaching these passionate players. I teach from 9am... but I get there around 6am!

Tomo

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Pretty sick rhythm chops there. Outstanding!

9. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

When I think of great Pocket Rhythm playing Frank Vignola springs to mind,that mans a machine.
    Nice clip btw, 'the chicken' great jam tune. :)

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I am astounded by "gtr owners" who go weedlie, weedlie all over the gtr but cannot make a chord, or worse, can make a chord but do not "speak groove" in any way.

I will not be some pretentious putz saying "I'd rather just play rhythm", but there have been times where I'm part of a relentlessly grooving rhythm section and when It's time for a gtr solo, I am disappointed!

12. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

I like playing in blues-rock power-trios so being able to hold down some serious rhythm guitar is essential to what I do, especially if I'm singing as well.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Great! Make your guitar groove part and sing your vocal line. Practice slowly each part clearly first and mix them. I make my students to sing blues bass line and sing another line different from bass line. It's hard to do both together. Gradually... you can keep your bass line then you can improvise your singing more. Hats off to John Mayer! He is great at.

Tomo

14. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Three stellar rhythm guitar players:

Pete Townshend
    Keith Richards
    Alex Lifeson

I'd happily play rhythm all night long.

15. tweedster

tweedster Supporting Member

I found that working on my rhythm guitar chops made me a much stronger soloist. I was using Larry McCabe's "Complete Guide to Rhythm Guitar for Blues Bands." My sense of time improved dramatically, for example rhythms that emphasized the 2 and 4 and lay out on the 1. The improved rhythm sensibility really shaped up my phrasing.

16. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

Hendrix might be known for his lead work but he was a damn good rhythm guitarist...

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Nice stuff, Tomo. I have been putting time into my rhythm chops. I've been trying to learn the style of Nile Rodgers. Not so easy to play along with his recordings. Takes some wrist stamina (at least for me).

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Just saw that thread. Thank you. I have been working on my time, groove... muting ..I mean overall rhythm guitar skills. I will practice more! Thank you so much!

Tomo

19. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

A perfect example of (not a rhythm guitarist; not a lead guitarist, but) "a guitarist".

20. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I've spent the last few years really honing my rhythm chops and it's true... the better I've gotten, the more I've worked. One thing I find fascinating though: I also play trumpet, supposedly not so badly even - but one of my biggest struggles as a rhythm player has been to leave space where a typical horn line might be. Let the passing notes and everything connecting the chords fall on the bass (passing notes) and horns if you've got 'em for the rest of the embellishment. I still struggle with that... probably always will. Sometimes the playing gets too florid and busy.

Something else I've learned though - it's a parallel to the trumpet in one regard. I always used to say that if I didn't play my horn every day it'd be noticeable how much my chops diminished by the next time I pick up the horn. Took five or so years off at the start of college and I lost an octave of range that I still haven't regained. But I always felt like I could put the guitar away for a few days or weeks or whatever and come back to it still knowing how to play. True, I can... but where I notice the fastest dropoff is in my rhythm playing. I play so much less tastefully if I'm not at it every day working through music.

Here's some rhythm work I'm really proud of - but you can definitely hear my horn like tendencies at play here too:

Of course, like anyone else... I've got a long way to go.