Rhythm OD Pedal Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by irate_pirate, Mar 1, 2012.

1. irate_pirate

irate_pirate Member

I need a pedal I can front side the clean side of my laney vc30 with. Channel has a beautiful just-before-breakup-tone. I play mostly rhythm, so it can't be a TS clone, I need something with a little more bottom end chug and less prominent mids.

Guitar is an-es 335, music is mostly blues rock with a 70's classic rock kinda feel. No high gain stuff. I drastically prefer "smooth" to "raspy"

I'm overwhelmed with the 25 billion differen od pedal options. Do I need something with hi/mid/lo pots? The "Tone" nob on my TS-808 doesn't do it for me. How effective are tone knobs on other pedals, i.e. BOSS bd-2 etc?

Any reccomendations? help a brotha out!

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Others will probably say the same thing that I'm about to.... give the Timmy a try. I've had several over the years having bought them, gave them a modest try then ditched it because I just didn't "get it". Now I do. I have reduced my board down to a Keeley Comp and Timmy and that's it! The EQ on the Timmy is the key because they are 'cuts' and they work well. There are a couple for sale in the emporium now for a reasonable price.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy is definitely a good recommendation. I would also suggest the Blackstone OD. It is smooth and very dynamic and bodes well w/ humbuckers as well as single coils. I play thru 2 very clean amps (Twin Reverb and JC120), the Blackstone is my main dirt pedal and my preferred all around lead/rhythm effect. I play thru several types of hardbody guitars and also thru a an ES-175, the EQ on the Blackstone is a quick adjustment to dial in my sound for the ES-175.

4. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Barber LTD SR. Can dial in a smidge of dirt while retaining clarity which I find perfect for rhythm

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

SolidGold Superdrive will be perfect. I think Burgs has a really good demo of the Superdrive Synergy through a Laney; the Synergy is a little less chuggy than the stock Superdrive (more like a Tim but not shrill/brittle) but it gives you a sense of how the Superdrive's drive sounds. Heck, the Synergy might be a good call, too.

6. christhurman

christhurman Member

Timmy or Morning Glory are both amazing rhythm overdrives. The MG is just something special.

7. irate_pirate

irate_pirate Member

Now thats what I'm talkin' about! This one might make it onto the pedal board. Now let's see if they even sell these bad boys over here in good ole Europe.

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Just got a Mad Proffesor Sweet Honey and can get that modern rhythm POP/ROCK tone! They make a PCB version that's quite affordable!

9. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

OCD. Tons of tonal options (LF/HF switch, tone pot that works, cleans up great), not a TS, affordable.

10. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

I haven't tried the newer Mark II version, but I love my Catalinbread DLS v2 into a clean amp for rhythm work.

11. heffernoise

heffernoise Supporting Member

two suggestions.

proco rat has a solid bottom and can be run a lower gain settings. imo its pretty far away from the tubescreamer sound.

second suggestion would be pigtronix polysaturator. has an active eq on it and covers alot of smooth drive territory.

12. bushmill

bushmill Member

Just got a CMAT Ratified....great RAT clone. That's my suggestion.

13. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

A Keeley BD-2 works well.

14. Motörheader

Motörheader Member

rockett flex-drive might work with the clipping switch set to the middle position and the gain knob turned down..making it more of a clean boost, plus you will have the option of higher gain if you want it in the future

15. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

TIM/Timmy or Durham Sex Drive. Pedals have come and gone on my board--these 2 stay because they work so well for me. AND stack great too!

16. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

One word........KLON!!

I know the originals are WAYYYY expensive, but I tried one of the Mojo Klone's a little while back and it was almost identical.....REALLY good.

You can find 'em new in the Builder's and Manufactures Emp for $185

They also come up used here on TGP every once in a while.

Thx,
    Ken

17. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Visual Sound Open Road, if not an OCDv4.

18. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I agree with this. But also check out the Wampler ODs. Do yourself a favor and check out their site.

19. pennylink

pennylink Member

I really like the Wampler Ecstasy for rhythm. It has very flexible tone controls (without inherent mid-hump) and the three-way switch lets you dial in anything from dumble-ish to Timmy-like tones and even fuzzy OD. Stacks well with other OD's and fuzz.

As mentioned by others, Timmy would also work for your application, but IMO Ecstasy can cover similar ground and has added versality.

20. pedaltrader.com

pedaltrader.com Member

Angry Sparrow by Flickinger Tone Boxes... I really like the Charlie special mega by ddyna also