Rhythm OD Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Douge, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Douge

Douge Member

What OD Pedals are good for Rhythm/Chords that have good string clarity and don't sound muddied up??
    Going into front of Very Clean Amps(Dr.Z KT-45 & Groove Tubes Soul-O 45).

2. drolling

drolling Member

3. erksin

erksin Member

+1 on the Tim/Timmy

Sparkle Drive

MI Audio Blue Boy or Blues Pro

AC Booster

Reverend Drivetrain II

4. dave s

dave s Member

Either of the Xotic RC or AC boosts work pretty well. I'm using both in front of two different amps set to dead clean. Both pedals clean up nicely with the volume knob on my guitars as well.

The RC and AC Boost pedals also have bass and treble knobs to dial out flub (bass) and dial in articulation (treble) if you need it.

Plus, if you get both pedals, you can use the RC Boost (cleaner than the AC) to kick up the AC Boost for leads when needed.

dave

5. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Take a look at my sig. I'm a rhythm player. I run my Marshall clean and use the Timmy as my primary OD. When I need heavier sounds I kick in the Crunch Box. I have a second Timmy on order and will try that instead of the CB when it gets here.

Cheers,

Johan.

6. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

For lighter OD w/ clarity and articulation, I frequently use the Aphek Peanut Butter or fall back on an old Boss OD-1...

7. Bajan

Bajan Member

For me the Tim has been brilliant in that role. The eq is the key, especially the pre-gain bass control. I also love the Tim for a bluesy lead tone and I use the boost function quite a bit to punch up the gain and it is very smooth and articulate.

Shane

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Klon of course. Also the Tim/Timmy... Waiting list for both, unfortunately.

9. Ned

Ned Member

Blackstone or Dual Drive :AOK awesome Overdrives with exceptional note clarity for chords

10. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I second the Blackstone for clarity at low gain settings, but do not know if it will compliment the Dr Z or Groove Tubes.

11. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

The MI Audio Tube Zone does a good job for crunchy well defined chords. The key is not to turn the drive level past 12:00.

Rockon
    :JAM

12. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I have a Timmy and really dig it, I use it mostly as a boost for my Eternity and it works great. However, I can't seem to get a good setting for overdriven, well defined chords. I use a Strat plus through a Mesa Boogie III. Any suggestions from Timmy Users.

ROCKON
    :JAM

13. drolling

drolling Member

Given the loonnnngg wait for Tim/Timmys, I'll second the recommendations for the Xotic RC Booster for clean to slightly dirty rhythm w/clean amp - also a great choice for pushing an amp into power tube crunchy goodness.

And the BluesPro's a great pedal for both rhythm AND lead tones - beautifully voiced EQ, too. I've got last year's model, but I'd be very interested to hear what players think of the new model w/a small fuzz toggle on the back. You might be able to do a whole gig w/that pedal alone!

14. drolling

drolling Member

Just like the rest of my pedals, settings change from amp to amp, single coils vs humbuckers, etc. But I'm thinking you might be better off w/TIM. Just got mine a couple days ago, and it's really so much more pedal. The boost alone'll give you some grit w/much better note definition and w/a good EQ in the loop you can dial in your tone w/surgical precision..

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Lovepedal COT or FAB 50 or Balance

All 3 will give you what you are looking for - They actually make your guitar sound more clear while adding grit. I say they make your tone "sparkle". Also, they clean up really well with the guitar knob - ultra clean tones with added harmonics.

16. erksin

erksin Member

The key is to back off the bass and treble controls if you're turning up the gain (remember, the bass and treble pots work backwards - clockwise = less). If I'm running the gain at say, 2:30 - I'll typically have the bass no more than 1:00 and the treble around 2:00 (this would be into a clean amp)...

17. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

I use the MJM Blues Devil as my main OD/distortion tone. I play strats & teles into a Super Reverb.

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Gaspedal Carb .... it's quickly become my favorite answer. Very clean, responsive OD with a tight bottom end like a woman who runs 10 miles everyday of the week, and with the kind of clarity that I thought only an amp could produce.

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Pretty much all of the above. For a quick fix i'd suggest Lil' China Cot50...

20. rewog

rewog Member

Hmmm. I don't know that the lil' China COT is a quick fix Stressfest.
    I waited about 5 months for mine - well worth the wait though.
    It's great to have a power jack on the COT, and the Blue is definitely more mellow than the red.... and noticeably less gain.