Rhythmic Ticking/crackle Coming From Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by feet, May 19, 2015.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

tangentially related to my other post about tubes-- i figured i needed new power tubes for my ac15hw because i occasionally get a rhythmic ticking sound from the amp. for lack of a better term, it sounds digital, and it keeps perfect time. there's a a crackle, maybe 10 or so clicks and it goes away. not super loud, but noticeable. i haven't had a change to see if it scales up or down with the volume as it is a sporadic, intermittent thing.

i don't have any fresh tubes on hand, but i swapped out the power tubes with a few used ones i had lying around and i still got it. i swapped the v1 tube and that didn't fix it, either. i also plugged directly into the amp to no avail. it'll occasionally make the ticking sound even when its powered up but nothing is plugged it.

the only other things of note i can think of are my having removed the back and the little faraday cage thing over the v1 tube. just to facilitate tube fussing and i'm just used to the open back sound, i guess.

2. WillLane

WillLane Member

The AC15? Tried the pencil eraser test on the preamps? Maybe one is a little tired. Cleaning the ports with some contact cleaner might help too. I doubt wall power would make metronomic ticking, but then again nor should an amp. :/

3. =JL=

=JL= Member

My Teisco gold foils pick up my wristwatch.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Probably your cellphone.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I agree! Try that first.

6. feet

feet Supporting Member

the old one is a little more "lively" that the others, but not offensively or problematically so. also, must it be a pencil eraser (or something similar)? i just use a pick as its the closest thing at the time.

heh. i can't recall offhand if my phone was present at the time, but i have experienced phone-iness in the past in regards to amps. i do hope that's it. its the metronomic quality that makes me think you're right. i'll try and test the theory.