RI 72 Tele Thinline: heavy body. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Griz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

I recently picked up a MIM Thinline. It's very well put together. Sounds and plays great, but it is rather heavy for a Tele due to the body wood. They've used a very nicely figured ash, but it is the (period correct) denser type, not swamp ash.

Any thoughts as to whether it's better to just replace the body, or to see about having it weight-relieved somehow?

And if I do replace the body, can I expect difficulty getting a proper fitting neck pocket?

TIA for advice...

:D

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

You're complaining about a Thinline Tele being too heavy!?!?

If you're looking to change it up, I'd recommend replacing it with something that is finished with a little nitro or much much much thinner poly. I have the 69RI and they've glommed so much poly onto that guitar that it really doesn't play like a semi-hollow, nor does it inherit many of the tonal characteristics of mahogany. It's basically just a lighter Tele; it may as well be plastic with that much finish.

3. Griz

Griz Member

It's not super heavy for a Telecaster, though it is substantial at around 8 lbs or so. It's definitely a bit heavy for an ash bodied Thinline; I've played others. Sounds great, though. The woods' inherent tone characteristics give it a surprisingly clear sound for a dual HB instrument.

Thanks for the suggestions re: finish. The Warmoth bodies look interesting, should I decide to change. Are there any other highly recommended parts suppliers?