• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Ric 1967 360-12 - Heartbreaking, I opened my case today to find this...

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
That is the Rickenbacker trick. Mine is a '91 360/12, and, knock on wood, the trick hasn't happened yet.

starfish

Luckily, there is no apparent damage to the guitar top, just a clean break of the tailpiece. The guitar was stored upright in its case. A couple years ago I had this hanging on the wall. Things might have turned out worse for it or neighboring guitars in that scenario.

starfish

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I just learned I can't buy a new replacement part without sending in my broken vintage part. I have no idea if the current part is even compatible.

I'm assuming the cost of a vintage replacement part would likely be steep, assuming I can even locate one. Then there is the risk of putting a vintage tailpiece back on when it could be a ticking time bomb. It also looks like the remnant of the broken tailpiece is firmly lodged in the bracket, so I probably need the bracket too.

I do have insurance through Heritage, and I know they protect valuation on vintage guitars. It's one of the reasons I picked them. I guess they would cover the cost of a replacement vintage tailpiece, but I'm not sure if I should go this route or not.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
You gotta email Rickenbacker, and they'll send a new one after you send in the money and your old one.
They're used to it!
Rickenbacker could really stand to lighten up a little. I have an old Rick 12 that I love but their "overprotectiveness" is a little over the top. They seriously won't just sell someone a replacement part?

Last edited:

stahlhart

I thought that it was only the black finished tailpieces that had that problem. Ouch.

My heart goes out to starfish. :( I hope you can get that taken care of.

I opted for the '63 spec version for mine for this very reason.

mrfett

oh man my condolences. yikes. i'd just get the replacement from Rickenbacker and not involve Heritage. No sense possibly raising your premiums. I'm doubtful the value will be affected much, just keep the pictures. This is unfortunately something that seems to eventually happen to most of those tailpieces.

Guitarworks

Rickenbacker could really stand to lighten up a little. I have an old Rick 12 that I love but their "overprotectiveness" is a little over the top. They seriously won't just sell someone a replacement part?
Correct. They control the Rickenbacker parts supply. They don't outsource manufacturing and they figuratively waterboard Rickenbacker counterfeitters when they find them. They mean business. So you'll not get a replacement anything without first giving them the broken part and the money for the replacement.

bossaddict

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Oh, man. I have the same year, model, finish, etc. and that hurts to look at. As mentioned above, aftermarket parts are tough to come by. I just got a TRC, which was missing on mine, but it took years to find a nice legit one. I would just go the Rickenbacker route that you described.

Sorry that happened!

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Haw. Also, if they don't have a part, they will still threaten you with a lawsuit if you make a part for a restoration.

paulbearer

I had that happen with the hook/bracket/trapeze from the W aftermarket rickenbacker supplier.
The hook (claw) straightened itself out and let go during a rehearsal! (Probably during a sublime REM moment, too)
He said it was a bad batch of them. Pot metal sucks for items under stress.

Trending Topics