Ric 1967 360-12 - Heartbreaking, I opened my case today to find this...

monty

Luckily, there is no apparent damage to the guitar top, just a clean break of the tailpiece. The guitar was stored upright in its case. A couple years ago I had this hanging on the wall. Things might have turned out worse for it or neighboring guitars in that scenario.
That is good news!

GrungeMan

Supporting Member
If I wanted the guitar fixed I'd send them the part as it's no good to me broken.

starfish

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, everyone! I'm trying to keep this in perspective, since the part is replaceable. As RJLII stated earlier in the thread, it could be a lot worse like a head stock.

I did speak with a well-known, highly-regarded, local guitar tech about checking out the instrument after getting a new tailpiece. Unfortunately his backlog runs about 8 weeks. I'm sure the neck will need to be re-adjusted, and these vintage Rics can be tricky. You have to push the neck into position and turn the truss rod to hold the position. I did this many years ago and have not had to touch the neck since. In fact, this particular instrument rarely requires any adjustment and the strings stay in tune, even if the guitar is not touched for a while. I don't want to risk anything by doing this delicate neck relief dance again myself.

I also plan to turn this tragedy into a positive experience and order a 12-saddle bridge and have it notched and setup. It's something I've always wanted to do with this guitar. Thank God I don't have to send Rickenbacker my original bridge first. ;)

For those with vintage Rics, let my experience be a forewarning and an opportunity. If I could go back in time, I would buy one of the old-style trapeze tailpieces available from Ric or aftermarket. These do not require a trade-in with Ric. Put that on the guitar for everyday playing and keep the original "R" tailpiece in a safe place.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
You gotta email Rickenbacker, and they'll send a new one after you send in the money and your old one.
They're used to it!
This is correct. The new tailpiece should fit perfectly. Broken tailpieces on Ricks are common.

Dashface

I thought you were gonna say "Heartbreaking - I opened my case and found... A Rickenbacker" heh heh. That's the worst, really :)

...But seriously that's an easy fix so, lucky.

zacmac

its totaled. you should sell it to me and i may be able to salvage it.

no in all seriousness, you will probably be mocked by lord Hall but they will send you a new one

Buick8

Rickenbacker could really stand to lighten up a little. I have an old Rick 12 that I love but their "overprotectiveness" is a little over the top. They seriously won't just sell someone a replacement part?
That's because the CEO is a DB.

Motherfuzzer

Supporting Member
So, Ric makes a crappy quality bridge, charges you when it inevitably breaks, then gives you a hard time about replacing it on top of it?