Ric 330 experts....school me

mhuxtable

Looking at buying a late 90s 330 from a guy. In Jetglo, has toaster pickups.

What issues am i looking for....tell me about how thin the necks on the 90s Rics are.....tell me how awesome they are.....just the usual history and what to expect mostly.

I've played a couple 330s and 360s before, really love the sound and this is an opportunity for me to finally have one.

Oh also, any great Ric resources online would be appreciated.

your name here

Supporting Member
I've noticed that 330's can vary - even among modern production ones. The one I had (w/toasters, too) had a huge neck and the shoulders were really square. I love big necks, but it was actually hard to play. The string tension was also very high, even after all the usual tweaks. Sadly, I had to let it go. It also had intermittent buzzes that I could never totally eliminate, despite knowing the tricks - a new buzz would always crop up. But they're not all that way. I've picked up some that had smaller necks, and some that have had slinkier action.

If you've played this one and like it, I'd say go for it.

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
I've had a 330 since 2009 - bought it new and put in the toasters myself. It's a lovely guitar, with a beautiful chimey tone. The neck on mine is waaaay narrow.

I do note that with the toaster pickups, the guitar can be noisy.

But I say go for it. I've played Ric basses for years and had been jonesing for a 330 so I could get my Johnny Marr / Peter Buck on.

samdjr74

I know a lot of people say Ric necks are narrow but measure it and you'll see it's the same width as a gibson slim taper.

Needless to say I've always had a Ric in my stables, a mid 80's 360, a mid 90's 370 and my 2005 330 which is a real keeper. The other 2 were great guitars but the 360 was sold to purchase a car, and the 370 was traded in for the 330 in blue burst. I never used the middle pup or the ric-o-sound so the 330 not only looked cool but worked out better for me.

As far as build quality, I've never played a bad Ric, the toasters are the pups you want, you'll get that Ric chime with no problem. The parts Ric uses are great, nothing is low quality on a Ric.

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
So if Ric necks are "narrow", are they also thin front to back?

Narrow I can deal with (my 1 3/4" Martin is too big for me), but slim front to back (ala Ibanez) can be just as bad.

mhuxtable

thanks guys.....

so when you guys talk about a "thin" neck....are you talking like the width of the fretboard edge to edge?

or the shape of the neck....like the thinness of a Classic Vibe Squier?

Stratobuc

Post #2 lists the best source of independent RIC info on the net. Jump into the fire - grab that Rick, and don't look back. You'll be happy!

wittyair

Rick necks can vary from year to year. If you ever try their color of the year (COY) from
2002 which is Burgundyglo, you'll find what they refer to as the baseball bat neck. That particular year ( or a great portion of it ) they simply had a thicker neck than usual. Otherwise the differences aren't that marked.....they vary, but not THAT much. the variance in the width ( low E to high E ) is even less....they are fairly uniform throughout most of the past several years. When you start dealing with 50's and 60's and some 70's you can notice VERY slight differences. I love the 330....it's got a great feel, great balance, great tone and it looks tremendous. In fact Stratobuc.......I want one of your 330 bluebursts ( or both of them for that matter ). The absolute best place for you and others to go for any and all Rickenbacker information is the Rick Resource forum which was linked above. You will find everything you need to know and then some......terrific place. Oh.....and the toasters are the way to go.....they just seem more Rickenbackery to me which is kind of the point.

Last edited:

vibrasonic

RIC's are wonderful guitars, a little quirky but once you get used to them its tone heaven all the way. My first ric was a 620 , i did'nt much like it. I'm really into the hollow body guys.

vanguard

i've got an early 90's 330 w/ toasters. the neck is pretty thick, and that's even considering the nocaster sitting next to it. the 330 has a lot of shoulder. it's a killer sounding guitar, but it is definitely hard to play. something about the string-tension and the overall feel of the neck makes it really hard to play cleanly. it's funny though, when i play REM, "my generation" Who, or Smiths licks the difficulty seems to go away. i think the 330/360 is one of those guitars that is so unique it actually forces you to play it a certain way in order to play it well. arpeggios just drip off the thing, but complex chording and single-note stuff can be tough.

Stratobuc

Rick necks can vary from year to year. If you ever try their color of the year (COY) from
2002 which is Burgundyglo, you'll find what they refer to as the baseball bat neck. That particular year ( or a great portion of it ) they simply had a thicker neck than usual. Otherwise the differences aren't that marked.....they vary, but not THAT much. the variance in the width ( low E to high E ) is even less....they are fairly uniform throughout most of the past several years. When you start dealing with 50's and 60's and some 70's you can notice VERY slight differences. I love the 330....it's got a great feel, great balance, great tone and it looks tremendous. In fact Stratobuc.......I want one of your 330 bluebursts ( or both of them for that matter ). The absolute best place for you and others to go for any and all Rickenbacker information is the Rick Resource forum which was linked above. You will find everything you need to know and then some......terrific place. Oh.....and the toasters are the way to go.....they just seem more Rickenbackery to me which is kind of the point.
You already had one of them, Craig. I bought the six string from you.

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
i've got an early 90's 330 w/ toasters. the neck is pretty thick, and that's even considering the nocaster sitting next to it. the 330 has a lot of shoulder. it's a killer sounding guitar, but it is definitely hard to play. something about the string-tension and the overall feel of the neck makes it really hard to play cleanly. it's funny though, when i play REM, "my generation" Who, or Smiths licks the difficulty seems to go away. i think the 330/360 is one of those guitars that is so unique it actually forces you to play it a certain way in order to play it well. arpeggios just drip off the thing, but complex chording and single-note stuff can be tough.

I think I could be happy owning just those two guitars. ;)

I'm actually glad to hear all the commentary about thicker (front-to-back) necks with "shoulder." I think that makes for more comfortable chording. I don't like 'em too wide across the nut.

Last edited: