• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Ric 650 Dakota (Any Thoughts?)

theHoss

I am very intrigued by this guitar. I am considering picking one up to fill the void between my tele and LP. I am curious if anyone has played one, or owns one. Any commentary would be much appreciated. I haven't be able to find one in town to try. Things I am looking for is the build quality, and a feel for the tone. Anything else that you feel might be of interest would be great.

Thanks!

They are great guitars. IMO, the Rick 650 series absolutely slay the competition in their price range (<$1k, US made). The "Colorados" are finished in standard Rick colors and, I think, are all maple. There's usually one or two on E-Bay at any given time. I got mine for $600 used a few years ago.

I have one and used it exclusively for a couple of years. Here is a link to an EP I did with it: www.hernextfriend.com/music.html There are some other songs on the myspace page. All the electric guitar parts are the Dakota, run through a variety of amps and pedals. I play with heavy strings (.12s), but the clips should give you an idea of the available tones.

I wanted one because of the 1.75" nut and chunky neck profile. The body can feel a little insubstantial and some people find the bottom horn a little uncomfortable. I'm a big guy and I gravitate towards heavier guitars--these Ricks are in the 8 1/4 lb. range, and for me, that's a little too light. I retired it recently in favor a Warmoth HH tele, fatback neck.

I would say the build quality is excellent, although I don't take a microscope to guitars like other people on these boards.

The neck-through design is interesting. I'm not sure how that affects tone and playability, but I'm sure it does.

The tone is pretty unique, and hard to describe...but it is definitely versatile, so you can cover pretty much any ground you need to. Or at least I could. The pickups are great--'heavier' sound-wise than your standard Rick single coils, but can still generate a marvelous clean tone.

EunosFD

I tired out a few some years ago, but don't remember much about 'em. Now that I know I need a wider chunky neck to accommodate my big ol' hands I'm giving them another look (I still don't think it'll be wide enough though). They have a shorter scale length IIRC at 24.5" so that also might be a detraction for some.

theHoss

Thanks for the info. I am listening to your album right now, well done! If the build quality is pretty good, I think I might try to pick one up. The price seems reasonable.

SGNick

Worrying about quality control with Rickenbackers is like worrying about rain in Vancouver!

MAN those 650's ARE SWEEEEEEEET Guitars!

justonwo

I had a 650 Dakota for a few years. I think I bought mine in 2000. It was generally a well made guitar and I liked the modern hardware - very user friendly. I ended up selling the guitar for two reasons:

1) I didn't like the pickups. They had a certain boingy bell-like quality to them that I really couldn't bond with. They just weren't as crunchy as humbuckers I was accustomed to.

2) I hated the neck. The profile was nice and fat, which I like, but I couldn't stand the "natural" finish. It got pretty sticky in a fairly short period of time and absorbed dirt like a sponge. And scotch brite never seemed to clean it up well enough.

It's certainly striking visually, but I've found other guitars at that price point that were much more usable (for instance, at that time anyway, my Strat). A CIJ guitar or one of the faded Gibsons could give that guitar a run for its money, in my opinion.

Here are some pictures of my former Rick:

http://www.the-byline.com/guitars/rick_650.htm

bdegrande

Build quality is as good or better than anything on the market anywhere near its price level. The pickups are mini-humbuckers, but other Ric pickups (toasters or high gains) can be swapped in. The neck is a wider neck than most Rics, which I like, YMMV.

If you prefer gold hardware, get the 650 Sierra, which is the exact same guitar as the Dakota but with gold hardware.

theHoss

Thanks again for the all thoughts. They seem pretty hard to come by. I called a dealer and they said it is about 1yr wait time. Is anyone selling a used one?

har_

I had a Colorado, which is basically the same thing but in a different color scheme. I agree with justonwo about the neck. It was the largest, widest neck I've ever played (good thing in my book because I have long fingers) and it was such a nice width! However, he is right about the stickiness. I like gloss on my maple necks, but MANN was it sticky!

The stickiness and the sound was the reason I sold it. It has a GREAT sound, but I already owned a tele and an LP. The tele did the cleans much better, and the LP did the grit a lot better. The Ric was in between - could do both pretty well, but not as good as either guitar.

justonwo

It has a GREAT sound, but I already owned a tele and an LP. The tele did the cleans much better, and the LP did the grit a lot better. The Ric was in between - could do both pretty well, but not as good as either guitar.
That sums it up nicely.

Gilligan

No experience with the 650 Ricks, but judging from my 360 and 660, build quality should not be a problem. Those 2 guitars are solid, solid.

SGNick

There's one on ebay now. best bet is to order a new one and wait it out! Rick is working on their backorder problems, you might get it before you know it!

zztomato

Sorry to bring up this old thread.....

I have one of these on my bench right now for a re-fret. Weird thing is that the board radius goes fro 7.25 at the first fret then as I move up changes to probably 6.5 for a few frets then back to 7.25 around the 9th fret. After the 15th it is 9.5. There's no indication that it's been altered but I think there was a very bad re-fret done to this poor guitar at one time.
It's supposed to be a 10 radius.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Also, anybody who has one of these could you comment on what the fret size appears to be?

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to bring up this old thread.....

I have one of these on my bench right now for a re-fret. Weird thing is that the board radius goes fro 7.25 at the first fret then as I move up changes to probably 6.5 for a few frets then back to 7.25 around the 9th fret. After the 15th it is 9.5. There's no indication that it's been altered but I think there was a very bad re-fret done to this poor guitar at one time.
It's supposed to be a 10 radius.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Also, anybody who has one of these could you comment on what the fret size appears to be?
o_O wat

zztomato

Never heard of that happening... yeah, must be a bad refret.

650... medium jumbo, I think.
Thanks. yeah, it's a weird one. Going with 6105 frets. I was thinking at first that maybe it's a compound radius- 7.25-9.5. Compound is supposed to gradually get flatter, not round, rounder then flatter. :messedup