• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ric growl

vicdeluca71

I play with a bassist who always loved the Ric growl.Are there any other bass guitars that can get that Ric tone on the cheap?

ghoti

You can kind of get there on a J-style bass.

And you can get all sorts of stuff with an active 3-band.

Nothing else gets EXACTLY there, but some stuff will get you into the ballpark...

bostonwal

Jazz bass bridge pickup tone on 10. The Jazz bass originally came about so that Fender could compete with Rickenbacker since the Precision could not do it. And, well, the J bass growl is now about 10 times more famous than the Ric growl, but I'm a Geddy Lee fan so I love both growls (from A Farewell to Kings onward). And don't forget the Wal growl, although a Wal would run you about the price of three Rics so I don't necessarily recommend it.

bek

I played a Gibson RD bass that was that way, like the Ripper. All-maple is what does it, I guess.

Jazz bass bridge pickup tone on 10. The Jazz bass originally came about so that Fender could compete with Rickenbacker since the Precision could not do it. And, well, the J bass growl is now about 10 times more famous than the Ric growl, but I'm a Geddy Lee fan so I love both growls (from A Farewell to Kings onward). And don't forget the Wal growl, although a Wal would run you about the price of three Rics so I don't necessarily recommend it.
I would say Jazz bass, but with the neck pickup wide open and the bridge all the way off.

Two of the sounds that were benchmarks of "that Rick sound" for me turned out to be Jazz basses. (McCartney's "Glass Onion" and "Helter Skelter" and Geddy Lee's Moving Pictures tones...)

SGNick

I would say Jazz bass, but with the neck pickup wide open and the bridge all the way off.

Two of the sounds that were benchmarks of "that Rick sound" for me turned out to be Jazz basses. (McCartney's "Glass Onion" and "Helter Skelter" and Geddy Lee's Moving Pictures tones...)
Glass Onion was most likely overdubbed basses, the Jazz is at least one of those.

Helter Skelter.... John Lennon on bass! How cool is that???

teleharmonium

IMO the bridge plays a big role in the Ric roundwound sound, and another part of it is that Ric basses are normally set up with no relief in the neck, and the harder you play, the more you get contact between the strings and the tops of the frets on the board when you play harder, contributing to the growl.

A Ric with flats sounds so different from one with rounds it may as well be considered as a different kind of bass.

I believe the maple and the neck through design contribute to the characteristic sustain - they help the sustain, and the weird bridge takes some of it away again and adds harmonics - but I don't think that it would only work with maple. Any other comparably hard wood, with the same neck through design and that body and headstock size, would work just as well IMO.

HooBass

Having wanted "Moving Pictures" tone for many years, I sought and ultimately got pretty good results (to my ears) with a G&L 2500. Used it on my "for fun" version of YYZ. Decent results with a Stingray (on my "for fun" version of Subdivisions). Finally I got good growl from a Jazz and a POD (yes, I know) for Limelight. and later with a Sansamp RPM. So I believe it can be done with many basses, EQing, tube grind or effects that go in that direction.

HooBass

Last edited:

Trending Topics