Rice custom guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by coldinWI, Dec 18, 2009.

1. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

Well,

I bought an amp off of a guy in Madison. The deal was kind of impromptu, so I just asked if I could use his guitar due to me not having mine at work. I pretty much knew I wanted the amp, as I have a similar one that I love.
    This fellow had a Rice strat (#55?). I don't belive I've ever had a neck in my hands that felt better. The neck was pretty chunky, and just had some girth to it that i haven't experienced on another guitar. I've heard all of the terms about "baseball bat" necks, and such, but didn't realize how comfortable that was. I don't have excessively large hands (I think?).
    I want one bad. I like many things about most of my guitars, but have never had one custom built for me. Should I see a therapist?

John
    :rockin

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Was it the blond strat with the black guard, Mare pickups, and the diamond side-markers? I sold a rice like that to a guy in Wisconsin (forget his name/uid). Great guitar! They should make that a standard model, IMO.

3. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

My guess is that's the one. He's changed some cosmetics on it, and maybe the pickups. Wow, what a guitar.

John

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

In all candor, a guitar made to fit you is way cheaper than a therapist, because once it has been paid for, you're finished. :messedup

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

Another idea: if you have any bolt ons, you could
    always order a large carve neck, as an upgrade to
    your guitar.
    I've done that...replaced a whimpy strat neck with a USACG '54 w/a 1 11/16 nut and 6125 frets.
    A lot cheaper than a custom build, and a step up in
    tone and sustain.

6. edrock

edrock Member

Hi John, how's that Bassmate treating you? You gotta come over & jam!

That lovely Rice you played is number #055, and I've done nothing to it but play it. A lot. Still exactly as described on the Rice website - just a breath of nitro & a hint of tint on a beautiful one piece swamp ash body. The birdseye neck is a .97 C profile, top to bottom, and I had the same epiphany as you when I got it.
    Never knew I'd like a chunky neck. Now the medium Cs and the likes of my old Les Paul Classics '60s slim taper' profile just don't do it for me. Those Don Mare pickups are the best I've personally experienced, but from what I've heard, the new Rice pickups are excellent as well. All in the family, too. I like that.

Yep, I've been completely spoilt by this guitar that dkaplowitz sold me. Almost a year now, ain't it Dave? My bandmates are in awe of it as well. It's a monster.

You can't go wrong with a Rice - Chris & Rich build very fine instruments from scratch. Tell 'em whatcha want & go for it. Wish I could afford another one right now!

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

Hey Ed! Glad the guitar is a hit with you. I really liked that one. Probably shouldn't have sold it, but GAS has its way of compromising good gear sometimes. Use it in good health!

Dave

8. edrock

edrock Member

I know exactly what you mean. And you flat out STOLE that one! That was a major score on your part, and I am eternally jealous! If you ever lose your mind . . . I'm just a stones throw north! :D

Thanks Dave, I'm actually quite glad you sold it. :beer
    You have no idea how much that guitar has changed my playing. It made me wanna practice more. Partly because it just felt and sounded so damn good, partly because it showed me all my flaws in excruciating detail. Every nuance in ones playing comes through on this one - there's nowhere to hide. And the flipside - my drummer remarked after last Saturdays show - "man, your leads just soared!" Took me three days to shrink my head back down to size.

After years of short scale gits it took some work to begin to master it, but it's so worth it. I've reached a better understanding of my strengths as a player, and been better able to capitalize on them. (which is a good thing, on account of I aint got many) I can say more with less notes now, and I attribute that to becoming a better listener. I heard stuff playing the Rice that made me wanna grow. I heard some stuff, man.

I'm a better listener in part due to trying out lots of examples of the quality gear I've found here - like the Rice. I lucked out early on. I've bought, tried and sold (at least) five other guitars since. (let's not even go into amps here) I think of my gear as a pool of tools that can be rotated. Funny. The Rice never seems to make it into rotation. All the other gits I've tried have been candidates for 2nd fiddle, so to speak. For a fickle bastage like me, that's sayin somethin.

Thank you Chris & Rich!

Ed

9. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I enjoyed having this guitar back for a few days to do the setup, but I wish I'd taken some new pictures of it. Hey Ed, how are your photography skills? ;)

10. edrock

edrock Member

Hey Chris - thanks for the excellent setup! I can't say enough good things about Rice #55. You & your Dad Rich are great. I really enjoyed meeting him & swapping guitar stories. (The dude can play, too!) It was very cool to be so warmly welcomed at the house even while all the big birthday party prep was going on. Super gracious!

Having the chance to play Bunny's old guitar was an honor and a great pleasure. (did I remember correctly - Bunny & The Creamettes, right?) Wow. Abundant Mojo. I was still grinning when I left. In fact, it's one of the few times I can remember smiling while driving through Chicago.

I'll see if I can't get some nice shots of your artwork in the next day or two. It's no longer the pristine lady that dkaplowitz sold me, but it's every bit the superb instrument, and getting better with age!

11. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Rich and Chris are great! They really work with you to make sure you're getting the guitar you want and they do outstanding work. The neck on my Rice Tele is to die for.

12. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I love seeing them get played. ;)

13. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

Hey there Ed,

I'd lost track of this thread. My son loves the Bassmate. We got a cap job done on it (Edtronics in Oregon, WI). The amp sounds great with a guitar, and also fabulous with a guitar. I love these amps. I'm contemplating selling a guitar or 2 to be able to give Rice a call. That guitar was fantastic. My best to you and your family. Yes, I'd love to jam. PM me or send me an email regarding when you might have some time.

John