Rich Robinson ES335 vs Memphis 63 block reissue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Feb 16, 2015.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone has played both of these and if they have found one to be superior to the other. Obviously the RR has a Bigsby and the Memphis block has a stop tail. But otherwise...just curious.

I really like the block reissue but may have a lead on a RR with a block tail piece.

2. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I have a RR. Haven't played the 63. The RR is just a great guitar. I love the Bigsby though.

3. kingsxman

Thx. I'm kind of curious if its the exact same guitar but just with a Bigsby... I'm guessing this might be the case...

4. riscado

riscado Member

Not really no.

Contrary to popular belief, Rich Robinson's model is not based on his own old 335 restored by RS guitarworks, it is based on a 63 that Gibson had at the time, which I believe both Rich and Gibson thought was a worthy template. At that point in time, when the signature series model came to be, Rich's original ES-335 was undergoing major restoration.

Rich's guitar being a signature model, probably has a different neck profile.

The 63 Reissue, would have the Quartered Adirondack Spruce bracing, whereas the Rich Robinson model will have the maple bracing.

The reissue will also have the hot hide glue for the bracing and neck joint, whereas the Rich Robinson model will use titebond (the new 2015 might only have the hide glue for the neck joint).

Then there's the pickups, the reissue having the new MHS, pickups which are alnico II and III and slightly underwound (based on Custom Buckers I believe), whereas the Rich Robinson will have the BurstBuckers 1 and 2.

The new 2015 63 reissue will have teflon coating on the Trussrods, whereas the Rich Robinson being a 2014 model will have no coating at all (I think this is good, provided the trussrod doesn't get stuck with any hide glue residue)

The hardshell case will also be different.

I personally have a Warren Haynes and a Rusty Anderson model, both excellent guitars. I believe you can't go wrong with either the 63 reissue or the Rich Robinson. So buy the one you can get or prefer really.

5. kingsxman

Thx. THis is great info. The one I'm looking at is a 2014. I would think that would have the hot hide glue... I thought that was standard on all custom shop models after 2013.

It does say the pickups are BB1, BB2. Which is a bit of a bummer as I really like the custom buckers that came in my 2014 R8.

I have heard great things about the Rusty and Warren models. But one of the things that I dig on this is the block inlays.. That's a must for me if I'm going to spend big bucks.

6. riscado

riscado Member

The latest burstbuckers don't sound as bad as you'd expect on a 335. I find them quite usable, especially if you lower them a little bit, as they usually come quite high (for me at least), from factory.

You'll still like the guitar a lot.

Here's a photo of mine:

[​IMG]

7. 696

696 Member

For what it's worth, here an email from Gibson concerning my 2014 '63 50th Anniv. ES-335:

Hello xxx,

Thank you for your query. Here we send you information which applies to your guitar and across the whole historic range of Memphis 2014 production:

Historic
    · Hot hide glue neck joints
    · Historic anchor and studs
    · Historic Truss Rods
    · 550K audio taper matched pot sets
    · Memphis Historic Series pickups or new Memphis P-90’s (Alnico 3 and 5)
    · Kluson tuners
    · Aniline Dye grain filler
    · 1963 ES-335s Historic cellulose block inlays, returning to the rich pearl like figuring
    · 1965 ES-335s Historic Truss Rod

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again or refer to our webpage at www.gibson.com

Kind regards,
    Boris
    Customer Service

FREE NUMBER
    00800-4GIBSON1
    00800-44427661

8. kingsxman

Bump to see if anyone else has played both. I haven't had time to get out and check this one out yet.

9. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

In my experience the MHS pickups squeal with gain at stage volume - so I replaced them. Otherwise my 2014 63 reissue is an amazing instrument. You prob can't go wrong either way.

10. rummy

rummy Member

Good to know.