Rich Robinson rocks!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blues bird, Jan 30, 2012.

1. blues bird

blues bird Supporting Member

Just came back from a concert here Berlin and I am impressed. Great Band and the guy can sing and play. Played a bunch of songs from his album and couple of covers (the encore was three Neil Young tunes -awesome!).

Looked like he runs a kind of stereo setup: a vox AC30 (head and cabinet) and another amp called "Reason" (never heard of that amp before). Had a great sound form it. Do you guys have some details on his rig?

Also he brought some nice vintage guitars with him: a Gretsch, a white SG, a Tele with a Humbucker in the neck position. Then he had a blonde maple neck strat, don't know whether it was vintage or not...

Anway, it was a great show and the band and the crowd had some fun!

[​IMG]

2. hlarry14

hlarry14 Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more - saw him a few months ago in a tiny club in Denver - fantastic show! I don't know any more details about his rig, and although I thought all his guitars sounded great I really loved the sound he was getting from his 335!

3. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

He was Keef Clone when he first came out. Shake your Money Maker. I remember reading the critics on that lp " the best Stones album in years "

4. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Yes, he rocks.

I don't know much about his rig (especially now), but he started using Reason a while back, I didn't know he was still using it.

They're great amps, were the "it" amp here for a while. Remember talk about the Reason "Bambino"? Link-http://www.reasonamps.com/

I know he's used Fulltone and Analogman stuff at times. He's a gear head.

Those guys are real, and I dig his voice, too.

There will be more knowledgeable people come along.

5. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I saw him play his Zemaitus for an encore one time. It was louder, more full with a more unique tone compared to everything else he played that night.

6. BrainDamage

BrainDamage Member

If I remember correctly, this was the first show where he used that Reason amp. Anthony Bonadio of Reason Amps posted here saying that one of their sales guys gave Rich an SM50 for soundcheck and he ended up playing it that night and taking it with him. It's been part of his rig ever since.

The most recent pictures I have of his rack are from 2010-09-26, and from what I can see, the top shelf has a H&K Rotosphere, Moog 12-stage phase, and Voodoo Lab power supply. The bottom shelf has a Voodoo Lab MicroVibe, Tone Freak MelloTremo, Way Huge Pork Loin, and what look like a Fat Sandwich and Aqua Puss in the second row along with one more pedal that is hard to see. Two Fulltone TTEs sit on top along with a Fender Reverb unit, as you can see in blues bird's picture. Out front by his mic is a small board with a Whammy, Line 6 DL4 and one other pedal that I can't make out, then separate from that is the controller for the rack, a CAE wah and Peterson StroboStomp.

No idea if any of that has changed for the solo tour, but I'm going two a show (maybe two) in March and can report back.

EDIT: Found a more recent picture and the spot that the MelloTremo was in is now filled with something different. That's the only change that I can actually see on the rack. He's also got a Boss Volume pedal out front next to the CAE wah.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. sws1

sws1 Member

He's playing a tiny little club / bar here in NJ pretty soon. (Wonder Bar in Asbury Park.)

Looking forward to it.

8. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Rich does indeed rock. I find myself spinning 'Through a Crooked Sun' all the time.

9. nuckolslee

nuckolslee Member

Rich is awesome saw him back in November here in Houston. Only bad thing was there was only about 30 people there to see him. Oh well at least there were no beer lines.:)

10. ethandt

ethandt Member

What Neil Young tunes did he cover?

11. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Same here. I saw him in his own backyard in Athens, GA last year and it was dead. He sounded fantastic, band was great. New album is amazing too.

12. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Pumped about his March 2'nd show in ATL.

13. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Got tix for Philly in March.

14. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Saw Rich, then Chris about a month apart. Rich played the Roxy and I too was puzzled by how small a crowd he pulled in. But he was great. Check him out if you get the chance.

15. slogger

slogger Member

I just printed up my tix to see him in Annaopolis-3/18 sunday afternoon show at the Rams Head Tavern! Very psyched!

16. SHM

SHM Member

Dam, he just played Christiania here in CPH and I missed it.

17. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

Great player, and I've enjoyed his work with the Black Crowes. I need to check out other stuff he's with which he's been involved.

18. evildik

evildik Member

I love the Hookah Brown stuff more than his solo work. I think his voice only fits certain songs and can be tiring after awhile. Too bad HB didn't work out in the long run.

19. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

Rich rocks! A really good songwriter/composer/player...he's really come into his own. Through a Crooked Sun reminds me a bit of Stephen Stills' Manassas but with more crunch and balls, production-wise. Awesome stuff.

20. gmann

gmann Member

Used to go there yrs ago, back in the '90's, that is a small place!