Rich Robinson's Tone?? what amps will get you there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sovtekking, Oct 7, 2005.

1. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Hey guys, i am the biggest black crowes fan ever, I think that I am anyways. I love that raunchy tone that rich gets, but it seems like all the amps that he uses are Harry Joyces (cant get them any more) or Bogner extacy's ( which I cant afford). At one time i had a Fender Tone Master which did the audley freed tone very well, but my question is, what amps should i check out in the "under 1500$" category to nail some of those black crowes and warren haynes tones? Also, anything under 50 watts that will get me there?

thanks guys

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

He does have an awesome tone... I'd try the 2061X HW, I just bought one and it nails the Warren Haynes for sure. I'll try some BC in the AM.

3. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

um, this is plain and simple. rich uses harry joyce amps/cabs exculsively for live work!

for studio work i'm sure he uses a variety of stuff including the harry joyce. but if you ever see them live(i'll be seeing them in chicago on oct 30) you'll notice that rich uses harry joyce amps and cabs.

i have a harry joyce 2x12 myself and i'm waiting for the hj 50 watter to come out. i love the fat tones that this amp can produce. plus charles berontzi is a great guy to deal with. he's the usa a&r guy for harry joyce amps.

4. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

I have a Dr Z 6545 that gets pretty close to that sound. If you can find one used, you might want to check it out. Lee

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

According to the HJ site I saw they stopped making these in 2000.

Is someone else making them?

6. studio8000

studio8000 Member

Which era tones are you looking for? although Rich always sounds like himself... there are some obvious differences in his tones from album to album. he's used so much stuff over the years it's hard to keep up. Marshall Jubilee heads, 50's low powered tweed twins, Custom Matchless amps and Clubmans, and of course his Harry Joyce amps. according to Rich "i never use pedals"

7. studio8000

studio8000 Member

also... during the Amorica/3snakes time Rich and Marc were using stuff like 50 - 100 watt marshalls, Blackface showmans, Blond Tremolux, Blackface bassman, 50's tweed Vibrolux, Vox ac30's, Matchless clubman 35's, Marshall 50 watt Mk II, Marshall 100 watt plexi, silver jubilees. and Mark Sampson built them custom amps, which were 2 amps built into one head. a 35 watt on one side (like a clubman) and a 120 watt on the other. with seperate controls and outputs. they also got 8x12 Matchless cabs with the 4x12 speakers on top openback, and the bottom 4 closed back.

later for the By Your Side sessions, Rich used a lot of Tweed twins with Matchless 4x12 cabs along with his Marshalls.

but now he's using HJ's on stage pretty much exclusively.

all this to say... there's a variety of things to choose from to get his sound depending on which era you're referring to. and to see that he's gone through and used so much stuff over the years and still sounds like him tells ya, that his sound is in his hands.

8. studio8000

studio8000 Member

Harry passed away back in 2000 or 2001. since then his partner George Scholz has taken over and has been continuing to make those great speakers but under the Scholz name now. and will be doing the HJ amps again, but i believe it'll be under Scholz name as well.

also, i dont think Rich ever used Bogner Ecstacy amps. i know Audley Freed used a Ecstacy with a Tone Master when he was touring with them for the brotherly love/ Lions tour.

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Harry Joyce or the new Scholz Vintage Gain amps. It's not just the amps though. Rick has a few monster guitars. I've seen him with a killer 335, a killer tele, and of course, the Trussarts. A Trussart through a HJ will get you about 90% of the way there. That last 10% is Rich, and it's worth more than the other 90%.

Rich also has a Wizard. It's got the Black Crowes logo on it...dunno how it's tricked out or if it's tricked out...but he has one. I've seen it used w/ a HJ cab. I used to have that setup, and it's crazy badass.

If you want to go the "poor man" route (beause Wizards and HJ's cost retarded money). I'd say, go with a Hiwatt 50 and a Hiwatt 4x12. It's closer to his sound than going the Marshall route...though in the studio he uses just about everything you could imagine that someone of his means could get ahold of.

Good luck...great tone right there.

10. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Dr. Z KT-45 anyone?

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Matamp UK owns the name/rights now...

Keep an eye here: http://www.harryjoyceamplifiers.com/

12. enharmonic

I mean no harm, but they've got some huge shoes to fill if they're going to build these to the standard of the originals. HJ used proprietary trannies which were no doubt a big part of the HJ sound. A Harry Joyce amp is not an overbuilt Hiwatt...it has the Hiwatt thing going on, but it's definitely it's own creature with its own tone. Think Hiwatt on steroids.

They'll either get it really right, or really wrong. Those of us who have owned HJ's will know right away. :)

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right you is... :dude

14. Roe

Roe Member

would probably be a good and afordable alternative. But which cab and speakers would be good?

15. enharmonic

Hiwatt Cab with HJ speakers...which are still available through Charles Bertonazzi (usually being auctioned on e-bay). These speakers are sort of like a musical JBL. From what I have seen, there are two camps...those who really like them, and those who don't. They're what I'd call "audiophile" 12's for guitar. Nowhere to hide with an Hj amp and Hj speakers. They reproduce everything.

Clearly they're part of Rich's tonal recipie though. I believe that Audley Freed used a KT45 for the Jimmy Page/Clack Crowes tour. Nothing shabby about his tone :)

16. Roe

Roe Member

jbls have more mids than the fanes, I believe

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Oh Yeah...............Black Crows city.............:dude

[​IMG]

18. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

just to dispell any rumors or answer questions regarding hj amps you guys should email Charles Bertonazzi at redhouseblues@hotmail.com.

as far as i've understood it from him is that the parts are made in the UK but they are being put together here in the usa(where charles is located, florida i think).

they're hoping to get the hj 50 watter(the only amp they're making) out by christmas. but they're so darn meticulous that their release may get pushed back even more.:D

19. enharmonic

I am very familiar with Charles. I have bought two cabinets from him. If he's doing the HJ's, it's gotta be the George Scholz Vintage Gain amps. I'm aware that Matamp licensed the right to Harry's name...dunno if they licensed his circuits too...but George was Harry's partner, and did a lot of the assembly on the original HJ's...so it's a bit convoluted.

I'll have to hear one of the Matamp HJ's before I know whether or not I'd buy one. If George is building them, and if they are somehow working w/ Matamp, than all will be good. If not, we could be talking about a much different amp with Harry's name slapped on it to move units, and that would be unfortunate, because the HJ's are/were special indeed.

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Matamp UK bought the name/designs from Harry's widow, for what it's worth...