1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Richard, Richard, Richard (Super 17 content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GreenTea, Jan 27, 2008.

1. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Dear Mr. Goodsell, killer sound. Three hour show today. First time it's been in public. Scumback speaker is well broken in. Les Paul with WCR CR neck, DB bridge. We're a three piece blues-rock band. No name. No matter. Goodsell kicked. I have chased this sound for YEARS! Used a delay and OD. Drained as I am (in a good way) I feel like jumping up and down and telling people how fun and great the sound was. Pure rocka and roll. BZ, Richard. You have built a hell of a machine. Really nails--and I mean nails--what I wanted. The Goodsell Super 17: Simple. Satisfying as all get out. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mkg

mkg Member

Most excellent! I almost posted something similar yesterday after Friday night's gig.
    I was using my LP straight in. I set the amp's volume, tone and gain all at about 1:00 and used guitar volume to control overdrive.
    We do a mix of Motown, Memphis, Stones, '80s power pop, ACDC, Prince...basically a wide variety of dance tunes.
    With the Super 17 I can cover them all.
    This was my first gig using NOS GE EL84s and the amp sounded great.

3. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Another gig Friday night. Nice big stage (like the Falls Church Theater). An interesting opportunity to see if I could recreate what I think I've been hearing... this time in a huge and more open venue. We got about a five minute (maybe) sound check and then the amp got about an hour of warm up time on standby before we played so that was good for me. Don't know if the warm up was necessary for el84s but it sure was for 6v6s, 6l6s and kt66s. Anyway, what a great sound. Perfermance was a huge load of fun but THAT sound coming out of the Super 17 was scrumptious. No kidding, even "I" envied my sound. :) Seriously, I really enjoyed what was coming out of that single 12" driver. Still have the stock tubes but no matter: the amplifier is so gorgeous and "on" that I'll keep them until I notice a degradation. Great night thanks to a fantastic audience, good bandmates and some tasty equipment. Doubt you'll see a review of the evening in any of the social tabloids, but the most beautiful woman on earth was there ;)

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Congrats GreenTea -

Great amp! A friend of mine got one a few weeks ago; now the speaker's broken in, and it sounds fantastic.

The Goodsell has a very surprising sonic footprint for a 17 watt amp. Also, it seems to sound the same dang near everywhere you stand relative to the amp - it doesn't sound 'phase-y' when you stand to the side of the amp, or behind it - it just sounds the same. I think that's amazing.

His has 2x10's, I think, with reverb.

Congratulations, Great amp, Dana O.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I'm finding my S17 to be an amazing tone machine. I also had a Scumback in mine ,but I didn't quite care for it. I had a 12A150/50 watt in it and it sounded great, but broke up just a little too much for me. I left in in for quite some time because the tone was so rich. I have finally found the speaker for me in this amp; a Weber ceramic Silver Bell/50 watt with Pre Rola doping. Great tone at any volume setting.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Word!
    My favorite part.....
    The cleans are absolutely beautiful! I judge amps by the quality of the cleans, and this is right up there with the best imo..
    Dirties up fantastically!

Great little amp!

Emee

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

Glad to hear you are enjoying that sucker. They really are unique sound generators.

I always warm mine up for at least 30 minutes. It helps very noticeably.

8. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

just played my Custom 33 last night, wonderful tones coming out of that amp. In the audience was Grant Green Jr. who was very nice, we spoke of our Goodsell love. (He's got a 33 as well).

9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Used mine for two gigs this weekend...I hope to have clips of Already Gone and Blue Sky up sometime today. Super 17 2x10 with a Tele and a Gibson ES-137 on Blue Sky. It has just an amazing tone too it...I have no more amp GAS, in fact my other amps haven't even been turned on since I got it.

10. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Somebody captured on one of those new fangled expensive digital recorders most of the evening and sent us clips. Love the digital recording technology and even got a good chuckle of our playing. Surprising to me was that the recording device picked up a pretty balanced recording. As the only guitar player in our group, you can hear the Goodsell/Scumback 1x12 combo just rip. Didn't even plan on it but it recorded beautifully. Maybe I can get a few short sample “uploadable” segments from the next show and pass to Doodad or someone to post. I see that Slider didn't care too much for the Scumback but if it only gets better with the weber he mentioned then maybe I'll try that (one day)... just took some good long hours to break it in... plus, it works excellently for what I'm trying to achieve so whay change? Damn, I dig this thing a whole lot! Perfect balance (now in four different venues including our rehearsal space) and that sweet, sweet output.

I can imaging that 33 just purrs! What a treat to talk similar equipment with Mr. Green. But, what's super about the 17 for me is how I can control and actually use all the desired power. No more days of 100 watt and playing on 2-3 (and rarely showing up on recordings because the sound guy just cut me off as I turned up throughout the show :) . Just drove me nuts.

11. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

No matter what I do, none of my amps sound as good as this one. Dial up 3 knobs and your there. Mgk, so do you like the NOS GE's better than what Richard ships with? I can't imagine this amp sounding much better.

12. mkg

mkg Member

Wm, yes, I like the GEs better for several reasons. They seem a little beefier when overdriven, my clean sound is a little bigger, and they should last about five times as long as the EHs that come stock with the amp.
    I agree with you that the amp sounds great with the stock complement of tubes that it ships with, but since I've gone to GE 12ax7s and EL84s it's gotten just that much better.
    I should add that the G12H30 seems to have broken in nicely, that makes a difference, too...from what I've read this speaker needs a good 100 hours on it before it breaks in completely.

13. Doodad

Doodad Member

Send it brother. Hell, I have not heard you play in, what, 20+ years.

Dang we sucked back then. I still do.:D

But, I was doing this today:

[​IMG]

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Goodsells are that good huh?///You guys have got me thinking

15. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Thanks, Doodad.

To me: absotively. This small beast just sings. I use one OD and one delay. I have a boat load of great ODs but it took awhile for me to settle on an OD that matched the sound I was trying to achieve. YMMV. The cleans are magnificent. Structural integrity of this amp that Richard built is matchless. The amp and the box are tough as nails (I'm hauling this 1x12 combo all over creation). Volume is completely ideal and completely useful. I was initially interested in the 2x10 (love that lively sound) but opted for a 1x12 driver (less paper but still the fullness there with 1x12). They're THAT good IMO but do give the speaker a chance to mature (i.e. pound the snot out of it before passing judgment). Mine sounds great with teles and lesters. Live, am currently using my Les Pauls.

16. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more with GreenTea. The thing I love most about the amp is the managability of the volume. I play with a pretty loud band and most times I never make it 3/4 on the volume. I'm a pretty big bottom end guy so I was a little concerned when buying an amp with 2x10's. Use humbuckers, and I get plenty of drive though. It is just a great singing amp with great cleans and some attitude.

17. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Oh, I have a Clairmont Super 17, #0015 as well, I love that amp. I just need the extra juice in some rooms because I play clean. And forgive me, I never pass up a chance to show and tell,...

[​IMG]

18. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Warm, tight bass, smooth highs and great projection from the Silver Bell.[​IMG]

19. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Great pics. :AOK I'll see if I can pull myself out of the Mesozoic Era someday and post some pics of my own.

20. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

clips? never seems like there are enough clips on this one. actually, we need a pete thorn style video for one of these :D